Apr 29, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT
Fister has been on the disabled list since the first week of the regular season due to a costochondral (rib cage) strain that he suffered in the middle of his 2012 debut. He’s been playing catch for more than a week and made it through a full bullpen session Saturday without feeling any lingering discomfort.
Fister could rejoin the Tigers’ starting rotation after just one minor league start if everything goes well.
The 28-year-old right-hander has a 0.00 ERA through 3 2/3 innings this year after finishing with a stellar 2.83 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and 146/37 K/BB ratio in 216 1/3 frames last season between Detroit and Seattle.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 23
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)