Apr 29, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT
Fister has been on the disabled list since the first week of the regular season due to a costochondral (rib cage) strain that he suffered in the middle of his 2012 debut. He’s been playing catch for more than a week and made it through a full bullpen session Saturday without feeling any lingering discomfort.
Fister could rejoin the Tigers’ starting rotation after just one minor league start if everything goes well.
The 28-year-old right-hander has a 0.00 ERA through 3 2/3 innings this year after finishing with a stellar 2.83 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and 146/37 K/BB ratio in 216 1/3 frames last season between Detroit and Seattle.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 7
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 15
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)