Apr 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported last Saturday in his weekly “Full Count” video that the Cardinals and Red Sox had begun showing renewed interest in free agent right-hander Roy Oswalt. But one part of that appears to be off:
“I think when you look at our club and how things are going, there is no reason we’re going to need to go outside (the organization) at this point,” Cardinals GM John Mozeliak told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “Our situation is like everyone else: fluid. But right now our starting rotation looks good. When you couple that with positives at Memphis, if we have emergencies I think we can deal with it.”
The “positives at Memphis” include top pitching prospect Shelby Miller, who has allowed just one run over his past two starts at the Triple-A level and is sporting a dominant 25/8 K/BB ratio in 18 innings this year.
It would certainly make sense for Boston to have ongoing interest in Oswalt given their pitching struggles, but he rejected offers from them this winter and seems content on waiting until a preferred destination opens up.
The 34-year-old had a 3.69 ERA, 1.34 WHIP and 93/33 K/BB ratio in 139 innings last year for the Phillies.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 19
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)