Apr 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported last Saturday in his weekly “Full Count” video that the Cardinals and Red Sox had begun showing renewed interest in free agent right-hander Roy Oswalt. But one part of that appears to be off:
“I think when you look at our club and how things are going, there is no reason we’re going to need to go outside (the organization) at this point,” Cardinals GM John Mozeliak told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “Our situation is like everyone else: fluid. But right now our starting rotation looks good. When you couple that with positives at Memphis, if we have emergencies I think we can deal with it.”
The “positives at Memphis” include top pitching prospect Shelby Miller, who has allowed just one run over his past two starts at the Triple-A level and is sporting a dominant 25/8 K/BB ratio in 18 innings this year.
It would certainly make sense for Boston to have ongoing interest in Oswalt given their pitching struggles, but he rejected offers from them this winter and seems content on waiting until a preferred destination opens up.
The 34-year-old had a 3.69 ERA, 1.34 WHIP and 93/33 K/BB ratio in 139 innings last year for the Phillies.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)