Apr 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported last Saturday in his weekly “Full Count” video that the Cardinals and Red Sox had begun showing renewed interest in free agent right-hander Roy Oswalt. But one part of that appears to be off:
“I think when you look at our club and how things are going, there is no reason we’re going to need to go outside (the organization) at this point,” Cardinals GM John Mozeliak told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “Our situation is like everyone else: fluid. But right now our starting rotation looks good. When you couple that with positives at Memphis, if we have emergencies I think we can deal with it.”
The “positives at Memphis” include top pitching prospect Shelby Miller, who has allowed just one run over his past two starts at the Triple-A level and is sporting a dominant 25/8 K/BB ratio in 18 innings this year.
It would certainly make sense for Boston to have ongoing interest in Oswalt given their pitching struggles, but he rejected offers from them this winter and seems content on waiting until a preferred destination opens up.
The 34-year-old had a 3.69 ERA, 1.34 WHIP and 93/33 K/BB ratio in 139 innings last year for the Phillies.
- Triples Machine: After a decade in the minors Royals rookie Paulo Orlando is demolishing triples records 5
- What Bryan Price’s rant was really all about 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 30
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)