Apr 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported last Saturday in his weekly “Full Count” video that the Cardinals and Red Sox had begun showing renewed interest in free agent right-hander Roy Oswalt. But one part of that appears to be off:
“I think when you look at our club and how things are going, there is no reason we’re going to need to go outside (the organization) at this point,” Cardinals GM John Mozeliak told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “Our situation is like everyone else: fluid. But right now our starting rotation looks good. When you couple that with positives at Memphis, if we have emergencies I think we can deal with it.”
The “positives at Memphis” include top pitching prospect Shelby Miller, who has allowed just one run over his past two starts at the Triple-A level and is sporting a dominant 25/8 K/BB ratio in 18 innings this year.
It would certainly make sense for Boston to have ongoing interest in Oswalt given their pitching struggles, but he rejected offers from them this winter and seems content on waiting until a preferred destination opens up.
The 34-year-old had a 3.69 ERA, 1.34 WHIP and 93/33 K/BB ratio in 139 innings last year for the Phillies.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 19
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 46
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 22
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)