Yankees shift veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia to bullpen

Apr 29, 2012, 12:33 PM EDT

garcia ap AP

As first reported by MLB.com beat writer Bryan Hoch, the Yankees announced early Sunday morning that right-hander Freddy Garcia has been removed from the starting rotation and will operate as the long man in the bullpen going forward.

David Phelps, who has posted a 3.57 ERA through 17 2/3 innings of relief this season, is expected to take over the Yankees’ vacant rotation spot.

Garcia was shelled for six earned runs in just 1 2/3 innings Saturday in a 7-5 loss to the Tigers and is sporting a hideous 12.51 ERA in 13 2/3 total frames this year. It’s feasible that he could pitch well enough out of the ‘pen to earn his way back into the rotation mix, but he’s dug himself quite a hole.

The Yankees hold an 11-9 record heading into Sunday’s action, which has them in third place in the AL East.

1. buffalomafia - Apr 29, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Help! We need pitching!

Do I hear King Felix?

• hittfamily - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

No. You hear Cashman buying high on Bruce Chen.

• jwbiii - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Do I hear Nova and Gardner (after he proves he’s healthy and useful)?

• hittfamily - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Maybe Pineda for Felix. Ha Ha Ha.

Yankees and Red Sox decisions have become quite comical to us Rays fans. Luke Scott and Carlos Pena’s 14 million combined look awesome right now!

Plus, I get root for a tea bagger for the first time in my life.

• jwbiii - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Seriously, what would you propose as a return for Felix Hernandez?

Manny Banuelos is on the DL with a back injury and Dellin Betances has an ERA that sounds like a Boeing product, so neither of them are desirable trade pieces at this point.

• jwbiii - Apr 29, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Betances’ walk rate at AAA is actually worse than Andrew Brackman’s.

• jwbiii - Apr 29, 2012 at 7:21 PM

6.9 Andrew Brackman’s AAA BB/9 rate
        7.5 Dellin Betances’ AAA BB/9 rate

In what mental state do you have to be in to down thumb a statement which can be verified in less than a minute? This is not a hypothetical question.

• jwbiii - Apr 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Respond or consider yourself to be mentally inferior to the contents of the bag I brought back from my evening dog walk.

• jwbiii - Apr 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM

A whole lot of people on the dumber than dog poop team, yet not a single response. I am surprised and not in a good way.

2. yankeesfanlen - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Give me a year when the Orioles are in first place in April, and I’ll give you #28 in October.
    And let’s see how often Garcia is USED from the bullpen.

• dangle13x - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

what an asinine comment. You Yankee fans are all so classy

• hittfamily - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:57 PM

You have no right to accuse others of not being classy bro.

Signed,
        The MORON

3. randygnyc - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Garcia has nothing left. Waiting on pettitte. 2weeks.

4. larrybrown43 - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Hey Freddie, please save a seat for Phil Hughes. He and his, straight as an arrow, 94 MPH, fastball need to sit in the pen too.

5. proudlycanadian - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Drat! I was kind of hoping that both Garcia and Hughes remained in the rotation.

6. hittfamily - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

The AL East doesn’t have a team under .500, even though they have been beating up on themselves. Wow.

• dangle13x - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:42 PM

yeah because 20 games shows the ups and downs of a full season. MORON.

• hittfamily - Apr 29, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Wow. Thanks for your talented writing. I guess I shouldn’t point out facts, for fear of offending your speculation.

Dangle13x

x is a variable.

Does it stand for : 13 men dangled their balls in your wifes face?

Or : Lieutinent Jim Dangle x’d all over your face 13 times?

• dangle13x - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:14 PM

haha get fired up you little yankee rat.

• dangle13x - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:21 PM

My talented writing? What do you want a thesis? I thought this was a message board for baseball fans, not a collection of scholarly essays. Ha you are a real cool guy though,maybe you can spell check my posts moving forward, you obsessive little rat. just graduated law school, what do you do smart guy? An English professor? And I’m nowon’t even address your dangling balls comment. It just shows your advanced level of white trash. haha keep it up buddy. Pricelss.

• dangle13x - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:26 PM

3 people find that funny? Why because I made an anti-Yankee comment? Still, you should be embarassed to find what this mongoloid posts anywhere near amusing. I guess you guys stick together, regardless of how dumb a person is. If a fan of my team is an idiot, you can have him. I don’t support half wit monkeys like this genius talking about balls and cumming because thats as far as his white trash insult arsenal will take him. Cheers.

• ftbramwell - Apr 29, 2012 at 6:16 PM

First, dangle13x, I wonder what law school graduates students in April. (Unless you’re saying “just graduated” means graduated in December. In which case I wonder how you were able to graduate in 5 semesters — the only way to do that is to take summer classes, which means you weren’t talented enough to get a job during at least one of your summers.)

Second, as an actual practicing lawyer (at a V5 firm, no less), I can tell you that your claim that you “just graduated law school” isn’t that impressive. I know lots of dumb people that went to TTT law schools that somehow managed to graduate.

• jwbiii - Apr 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM

It’s actually 34-21 over 55 games through yesterday. The Yankees beat the Tigers, the Blue Jays beat the Mariners, the Orioles beat the A’s, the White Sox beat the Red Sox, and Tampa Bay and Texas have yet to play. So 37-22 through now.

• cur68 - Apr 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM

dangle13x old chap, hittfamily and I loathe each other. Like, a lot. But, I am forced to take his side on this. He made an innocuous, factual, accurate comment and you came at him like he’d insulted your mom. As such, next to you, he’s a measured and reasoned individual. Get over yourself, just a little, or getting thumbed down will be the least of the negativity directed at you.

7. randygnyc - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:40 PM

That’s raycissss!!

8. mybrunoblog - Apr 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Your attention please…..paging Mr. Pettitte To the Bronx, Mr Andy Pettitte please report to the Bronx.

• marinersnate - Apr 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Just for those of you who missed it, the above mentioned Mr. Pettitte was lit up like a torch last week by Double A hitters in Trenton. He looked so bad the team moved him back to Tampa (extended spring training) for his next start, explaining that it was all due to the weather. Yank fans may just be (un) pleasantly surprised when Mr. AnROID Pettitte shows up to face live MLB hitters.

9. pisano - Apr 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM

The Yankees should have tried to trade him or cut him outright, the guy has absolutely nothing left. I think Hughes will end up the long man out of the pen when Andy’s ready to go.

• cackalackyank - Apr 29, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Just curious, are you saying Phelps will hold the spot, i.e. Rotation = CC, Nova, Kuroda, Pettitte, and Phelps, and Garcia gone, or are you seeing another move? Personally I see another move being needed even if everyone else stays healthy. Don’t ask me just yet what that would be..but it just reinforces the old truism- “you can never have too much pitching”.

• cackalackyank - Apr 29, 2012 at 11:11 PM

…wait does anyone have Roy Oswalt’s phone #? He is still “on the board” right?

10. urfinished - Apr 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Do over.
    Keep Colon…let Garcia go.

11. randygnyc - Apr 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM

IMO, Garcia is out when Pettitte gets here. I think successfully trade for garza by the deadline. Between phelps and the other AAA pitcher, (I forget his name, not either of the killer B’s, but ML ready) hopefully they can hold that spot down until July.

• pisano - Apr 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM

randy … I think you’re thinking about either Warren or Mitchell, but I think the Yankees are getting conscience of the money thing, meaning staying below 189 mil so I don’t think Garza is an option. I think they feel Phelps is a keeper and they would have control of him for quite a while, as far as Warren and Mitchell are concerned it’s too early to tell what they may have. Just my opinion.

12. randygnyc - Apr 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Yeah, Mitchell. What I meant is that phelps is the immediate option, but if he doesn’t work, they’ll pursue a trade, for sure. If that’s the case, I think it will be Garza. He’s battled in the AL east. Cashman respects that.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3490)