Apr 30, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Alex Rodriguez had a couple of moderately boring RBIs yesterday — infield hit and a groundout — but they put him someplace interesting: ahead of Willie Mays on the all-time RBI list. Which is kind of neat even if you appreciate the flaws of RBI as a stat.
A-Rod now has 1904 career RBI, which is one ahead of Mays. Above him are only seven other players: Hank Aaron, Barry Bonds, Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, Stan Musial, Jimmy Foxx and Eddie Murray. He should pass Murray, Foxx and Musial this season. If he finishes with 95 RBI this year he matches Ruth, so it’s certainly within reach if has some hot stretches and stays healthy.
Kind of crazy to think this, but given how much we have focused on Alex Rodriguez’s personal life, personal foibles and the general baloney that surrounds him, I think we’ve sort of forgot how amazing a baseball player he has been for the past 18 years or so.
UPDATE: Bad mistake on my part. Two bad mistakes, actually. First: Cap Anson and Ty Cobb should both be listed above A-Rod on the career RBI list. Anson had 2075, Cobb 1938. I was wrong not to include them.
The second mistake: my not double checking it to begin with. I knew A-Rod passed Mays because I read it in a game story over the weekend, but I saw the leaders list this morning on ESPN and lazily parroted that list rather than check Baseball-Reference.com or some other official place. Being wrong is one thing, being lazy is another, and that’s my bad.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)