Apr 30, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Andy Pettitte resumes his extended spring training prior to this inevitable promotion to the bigs where he’ll save the Yankees universe from the tyranny of Freddy Garcia and/or Phil Hughes. But first, a hiccup: he gave up six runs in five and two-thirds against Phillies minor leaguers in Clearwater in a rehab start today.
And you know it’s bad, because given how bad the Philly offense is, if these Phillies minor leaguers could hit anything, they’d be Phillies major leaguers right now!
OK, I suppose we’re gonna give this Pettitte kid the “everyone has a bad day” pass for now. Especially considering he didn’t walk anyone, struck out eight and because Joe Girardi said that some of the runs were given up on “wind-aided” homers.
But really, he had better show us something or else we might have no choice but to consider him a bust.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)