Apr 30, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Andy Pettitte resumes his extended spring training prior to this inevitable promotion to the bigs where he’ll save the Yankees universe from the tyranny of Freddy Garcia and/or Phil Hughes. But first, a hiccup: he gave up six runs in five and two-thirds against Phillies minor leaguers in Clearwater in a rehab start today.
And you know it’s bad, because given how bad the Philly offense is, if these Phillies minor leaguers could hit anything, they’d be Phillies major leaguers right now!
OK, I suppose we’re gonna give this Pettitte kid the “everyone has a bad day” pass for now. Especially considering he didn’t walk anyone, struck out eight and because Joe Girardi said that some of the runs were given up on “wind-aided” homers.
But really, he had better show us something or else we might have no choice but to consider him a bust.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 3
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 83
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (111)