Attendance is up so far this year

Apr 30, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

old turnstile

From the good news for the accountants department comes this tweet from the MLB public relations folks:

They go on to note that part of this has to do with the relatively few rainouts this year as opposed to last year.  I’m sure the new park in Florida has to be helping too.

1. Utley's Hair - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Great…with attendance up, TV ratings must go down. Does this mean that football writers are going to be banging their monotonous drum slowly again?

• georgia - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Absolutely!

• ultimatecardinalwarrior - Apr 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Boom! Roasted.

2. kopy - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Is the Minnesota Twins’ decline the worst in baseball, or just really bad? Either way, it’s great for my wallet. Returned are the days of buying tickets below-face value on the same date of the game.

• hansob - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I think I’d prefer the team to be competitive and pay the extra $20.

• kopy - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Same here, but if they’re going to be terrible, I’d rather be able to attend games cheaply and comfortably than still pay a premium in a packed house to watch bad baseball.

3. l0yalr0yal - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Maybe there are some people out there, like myself, that are having a hard time stomaching the NFL, as it has turned in to a complete soap opera, I’m about to place it on the same shelf as the Kardashians. And, please, don’t get me started on the NBA. I refuse to watch another jump shot go uncontested by anyone on the opposing team.

This baseball offseason was the period in which I returned to my roots and began solely devoted to the sport.

• l0yalr0yal - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Why did I put so many commas in the first sentence? I don’t remember pausing that much when my brain was trying to process it.

• lanflfan - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Sometimes, the, comma, key, is, too, inviting.

Rather like hitting that darn windows key when you really didn’t want to, and making your active program go away at a bad moment.

• ultimatecardinalwarrior - Apr 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

It’s a runon sentence. You were close, though. I actually prefer what you did to somebody who would write it like:

lms if you think the nfl is just like the kardashians god i’m about to put it on the SHELF

• l0yalr0yal - Apr 30, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Totes McGee. Sometimes I just get so excited whilst writing things that I can’t help but throw in additional, sentence enchancing punctuation marks.

4. prrbrr - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Yeah here’s a new stat for football more people attended baseball games than those who attended football games sounds like apples to apples to me

• jimbo1949 - Apr 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

huh?

5. lanflfan - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM

You can actually thank Frank McAsshat for part of that increase. Since this is FINALLY his last day as owner of the Dodgers, LA will again draw its customary 3+ million fans. This may well be one of the extremely few things we ever thank McAsshat for doing during his reign of terror as a MLB owner.

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Whatever the reason, this is good news.

7. icanspeel - Apr 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I am curious what the attendance values are say for the last 5 years at the same time of year.. just to see if the 6.3% up this year is still lower than previous years.

8. sir1389 - Apr 30, 2012 at 6:46 PM

You can thank last year’s day 162 as well as the magical playoff run and world series by the Cardinals.

• mybrunoblog - Apr 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Wait, the cardinal playoff run was magical? Did they involve Houdini or pull rabbits from hats?

9. chumthumper - May 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM

From my perspective, folks should appreciate that they can actually go to a game. I would settle for listening to some home boys call a game instead of being relegated to some traveling ‘game of the day’ announcers who don’t know what game they’ll be calling in three days.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3774)