Apr 30, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
Lidge was placed on the 15-day disabled list last week with what was described as an abdominal wall strain. The 35-year-old right-hander isn’t expected to resume throwing for three weeks following surgery, so assuming he requires a minor league rehab assignment, it’s unlikely he’ll return to the Nationals until late May or early June.
Lidge has a 5.14 ERA and 7/7 K/BB ratio over seven innings this season. Henry Rodriguez, who blew his first save of the season Saturday night against the Dodgers, should serve as the Nationals’ primary closer for now.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 0
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12