Apr 30, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
UPDATE: As expected, Inge finalized his deal and will be the A’s starting third baseman tonight. Luke Hughes was designated for assignment to make room on the roster after his reign as Oakland’s starting third baseman lasted a week.
Brandon Inge‘s deal with the A’s isn’t quite official yet, but Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the contract will be finalized in time for the veteran third baseman to be in the starting lineup tonight versus the Red Sox.
Inge will get every opportunity to be the A’s regular third baseman after the team cycled through Luke Hughes, Eric Sogard, and Josh Donaldson following Scott Sizemore‘s season-ending knee injury, getting abysmal production offensively and defensively.
At this stage of his career Inge might only be viewed as an upgrade compared to that trio, however, as he’s hit .190 with four homers and a .538 OPS in 111 games dating back to the beginning of last season and hasn’t cracked a .250 batting average or .725 OPS since way back in 2006.
After releasing Inge the Tigers are on the hook for his entire $5.5 million salary and a $500,000 buyout of his contract for 2013, so if nothing else giving the 35-year-old a chance doesn’t cost the A’s much.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)