Apr 30, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
UPDATE: As expected, Inge finalized his deal and will be the A’s starting third baseman tonight. Luke Hughes was designated for assignment to make room on the roster after his reign as Oakland’s starting third baseman lasted a week.
Brandon Inge‘s deal with the A’s isn’t quite official yet, but Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the contract will be finalized in time for the veteran third baseman to be in the starting lineup tonight versus the Red Sox.
Inge will get every opportunity to be the A’s regular third baseman after the team cycled through Luke Hughes, Eric Sogard, and Josh Donaldson following Scott Sizemore‘s season-ending knee injury, getting abysmal production offensively and defensively.
At this stage of his career Inge might only be viewed as an upgrade compared to that trio, however, as he’s hit .190 with four homers and a .538 OPS in 111 games dating back to the beginning of last season and hasn’t cracked a .250 batting average or .725 OPS since way back in 2006.
After releasing Inge the Tigers are on the hook for his entire $5.5 million salary and a $500,000 buyout of his contract for 2013, so if nothing else giving the 35-year-old a chance doesn’t cost the A’s much.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 9
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (83)