Apr 30, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
UPDATE: As expected, Inge finalized his deal and will be the A’s starting third baseman tonight. Luke Hughes was designated for assignment to make room on the roster after his reign as Oakland’s starting third baseman lasted a week.
Brandon Inge‘s deal with the A’s isn’t quite official yet, but Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the contract will be finalized in time for the veteran third baseman to be in the starting lineup tonight versus the Red Sox.
Inge will get every opportunity to be the A’s regular third baseman after the team cycled through Luke Hughes, Eric Sogard, and Josh Donaldson following Scott Sizemore‘s season-ending knee injury, getting abysmal production offensively and defensively.
At this stage of his career Inge might only be viewed as an upgrade compared to that trio, however, as he’s hit .190 with four homers and a .538 OPS in 111 games dating back to the beginning of last season and hasn’t cracked a .250 batting average or .725 OPS since way back in 2006.
After releasing Inge the Tigers are on the hook for his entire $5.5 million salary and a $500,000 buyout of his contract for 2013, so if nothing else giving the 35-year-old a chance doesn’t cost the A’s much.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 43
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 56
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 48
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)