Apr 30, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT
After a good rehab start at Double-A on Saturday, Bobby Valentine said that Daisuke Matsuzaka will make his next injury rehabilitation start for Triple A Pawtucket, and that it will be the third in what the Red Sox expect will be five minor league starts.
If that schedule holds, and if he sticks to a normal four days rests between starts, he would be available to pitch in the bigs as early as May 18.
He had been shooting for a June return. And given that he had his Tommy John surgery in early June last year, anything earlier than June would represent a pretty speedy recovery as far as these things go.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8