Apr 30, 2012, 9:09 PM EDT
UPDATE: Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the sale will not close today, as originally expected. No reason for panic, though, as the sale is not in danger and should close early tomorrow.
In other exciting Dodgers’ news, Matt Kemp hit his 12th home run of the season in the first inning tonight against the Rockies.
Saturday, 1:34 p.m. ET: Rejoice Dodgers’ fans, as the painful and tumultuous reign of Frank McCourt is set to come to an end Monday.
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times passes along word that yesterday was the deadline for objections to be filed to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court on the pending deal which will transfer ownership of the franchise from McCourt to Guggenheim Baseball Partners, a group led by Mark Walter, Stan Kasten and Magic Johnson. No such objections were filed, though, so the final major hurdle was effectively crossed.
Attorneys for Guggenheim, McCourt and MLB are still working through extensive documentation on the sale, but the expectation is that the new ownership group will be in place by the time the Dodgers take the field against the Rockies on Monday night.
The Guggenheim group agreed to purchase the Dodgers from McCourt for $2.15 billion, a new record for a sports franchise. McCourt is required to pay $131 million of that haul to his ex-wife, Jamie, on Monday as part of their divorce settlement.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)