Apr 30, 2012, 9:09 PM EDT
UPDATE: Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the sale will not close today, as originally expected. No reason for panic, though, as the sale is not in danger and should close early tomorrow.
In other exciting Dodgers’ news, Matt Kemp hit his 12th home run of the season in the first inning tonight against the Rockies.
Saturday, 1:34 p.m. ET: Rejoice Dodgers’ fans, as the painful and tumultuous reign of Frank McCourt is set to come to an end Monday.
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times passes along word that yesterday was the deadline for objections to be filed to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court on the pending deal which will transfer ownership of the franchise from McCourt to Guggenheim Baseball Partners, a group led by Mark Walter, Stan Kasten and Magic Johnson. No such objections were filed, though, so the final major hurdle was effectively crossed.
Attorneys for Guggenheim, McCourt and MLB are still working through extensive documentation on the sale, but the expectation is that the new ownership group will be in place by the time the Dodgers take the field against the Rockies on Monday night.
The Guggenheim group agreed to purchase the Dodgers from McCourt for $2.15 billion, a new record for a sports franchise. McCourt is required to pay $131 million of that haul to his ex-wife, Jamie, on Monday as part of their divorce settlement.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)