Apr 30, 2012, 9:09 PM EDT
UPDATE: Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the sale will not close today, as originally expected. No reason for panic, though, as the sale is not in danger and should close early tomorrow.
In other exciting Dodgers’ news, Matt Kemp hit his 12th home run of the season in the first inning tonight against the Rockies.
Saturday, 1:34 p.m. ET: Rejoice Dodgers’ fans, as the painful and tumultuous reign of Frank McCourt is set to come to an end Monday.
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times passes along word that yesterday was the deadline for objections to be filed to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court on the pending deal which will transfer ownership of the franchise from McCourt to Guggenheim Baseball Partners, a group led by Mark Walter, Stan Kasten and Magic Johnson. No such objections were filed, though, so the final major hurdle was effectively crossed.
Attorneys for Guggenheim, McCourt and MLB are still working through extensive documentation on the sale, but the expectation is that the new ownership group will be in place by the time the Dodgers take the field against the Rockies on Monday night.
The Guggenheim group agreed to purchase the Dodgers from McCourt for $2.15 billion, a new record for a sports franchise. McCourt is required to pay $131 million of that haul to his ex-wife, Jamie, on Monday as part of their divorce settlement.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 10
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 115
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (115)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)