Apr 30, 2012, 8:46 PM EDT
It might be time for this All-Star to stop fancying himself a basestealer.
Evan Longoria left Monday’s game in the third inning with a sore left knee following an awkward slide into second base on a steal attempt. He was caught stealing on the play, leaving him just 2-for-5 in his steal attempts this season.
A Longoria injury would be very costly to the Rays. Light-hitting Elliot Johnson, a career .187 batter in 198 at-bats, replaced him in tonight’s game. Should Longoria land on the DL, it’s likely that Reid Brignac would be called up to play shortstop, with Sean Rodriguez sliding over to third.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 146
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 55
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)