Apr 30, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
Chad Cordero hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2010 and hasn’t been healthy and effective in the same season since 2007, but the former All-Star closer is apparently preparing for a comeback next year.
Bill Ladson of MLB.com caught up with Cordero at yesterday’s Nationals-Dodgers game and reports that he’s “in great shape after losing 25 pounds by being on Weight Watchers.”
Rarely do we get to add another name to the “Best Shape Of His Life” list during the season, so this is an exciting day.
As for Cordero, he never really recovered from a torn labrum five years ago. The injury sapped his velocity and turned him into a shell of the guy who saved a league-leading 47 games with a 1.82 ERA for the Nationals in 2005 and was an effective closer in 2006 and 2007. In fact, in the five years since the injury Cordero has thrown a grand total of 14 innings.
Cordero is still just 30 years old and is certainly worth rooting for, but his comeback has some pretty long odds.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)