Apr 30, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
For the second straight season Chris Coghlan has been sent down to Triple-A, as the Marlins demoted the former Rookie of the Year winner yesterday after he hit just .118 in 36 plate appearances as a bench player.
Coghlan took the news well, telling Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald that the demotion wasn’t as tough on him as last year and “it’s going to be good for me in the long run because I get to go down and play every day and you never know what can happen.”
Coghlan has fallen so far out of the Marlins’ plans at this point that he may be better off getting an opportunity to start over elsewhere, although there’s little incentive for Miami to trade him with his value at an all-time low.
Since being named Rookie of the Year in 2009 on the strength of a .321 batting average Coghlan has hit just .245 with a .675 OPS in 175 games. He’s defensively versatile in the sense that he has experience at multiple positions, but isn’t actually a good defender at any of them and even Coghlan’s minor-league production was lacking last season.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 18
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 74
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)