Apr 30, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
For the second straight season Chris Coghlan has been sent down to Triple-A, as the Marlins demoted the former Rookie of the Year winner yesterday after he hit just .118 in 36 plate appearances as a bench player.
Coghlan took the news well, telling Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald that the demotion wasn’t as tough on him as last year and “it’s going to be good for me in the long run because I get to go down and play every day and you never know what can happen.”
Coghlan has fallen so far out of the Marlins’ plans at this point that he may be better off getting an opportunity to start over elsewhere, although there’s little incentive for Miami to trade him with his value at an all-time low.
Since being named Rookie of the Year in 2009 on the strength of a .321 batting average Coghlan has hit just .245 with a .675 OPS in 175 games. He’s defensively versatile in the sense that he has experience at multiple positions, but isn’t actually a good defender at any of them and even Coghlan’s minor-league production was lacking last season.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (187)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)