Apr 30, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT
UPDATE: And now it’s official. Pelfrey will undergo Tommy John surgery tomorrow.
Pelfrey pitched well through three starts, including eight innings of one-run ball his last time out, but was diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament earlier this week.
Surgery would knock him out for the entire season and perhaps part of 2013 as well, likely ending his Mets career after seven years and 149 starts. He’ll be under team control via arbitration next season, but because Pelfrey is making $5.8 million this year and can only take a 20 percent pay cut he’ll almost surely be non-tendered.
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 4
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 20
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 7
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 5
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 33
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 80
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (80)