Apr 30, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
We already know that when the Astros make the switch to the American League next season, it will create a more balanced schedule which will necessitate Interleague Play on a daily basis. But it sounds like more changes could be on the way.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that MLB is working on a “scheduling reconfiguration” for 2013 and beyond which will likely eliminate “natural rivals” playing home-and-home, six-game series annually.
While the current “natural rival” concept is good for ratings and boosts attendance in some places — for instance, the Mets’ home series against the Yankees this year figure to be some of their only sellouts — I’m guessing these proposed changes won’t disappoint many fans.
Whatever novelty interesting matchups like the Mets-Yankees, Cubs-White Sox and Athletics-Giants once had is essentially gone and we’re still forced to sit through awkward rivalries like the Padres-Mariners. This will put a stop to that, thankfully. There’s also the question of whether it’s fair for a team like the Mets to play the Yankees six times annually when some of the other teams in their division don’t play them at all.
Of course, that’s just one example of the flawed nature of the “natural rival” concept and other fans probably have similar complaints depending upon who they root for. Heck, complaints about the new format are inevitable, too. But this is a change I can live with.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)