Apr 30, 2012, 7:19 PM EDT
Young was charged with third-degree assault and an aggravated harassment hate crime for an alleged altercation outside the Tigers’ hotel in New York City last Friday morning.
The suspension is retroactive to April 27, so he’ll be eligible to return this Friday when the Tigers take on the White Sox.
Here’s the full statement from MLB:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Detroit Tigers outfielder Delmon Young has been suspended for seven days without pay, retroactive to Friday, April 27th, for the incident that occurred in New York last week.
Young will be eligible to be reinstated from the Restricted List prior to Detroit’s game on Friday, May 4th. Young also will be required to participate in a treatment program as a part of the discipline related to this matter.
Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig said: “Those associated with our game should meet the responsibilities and standards that stem from our game’s stature as a social institution. An incident like this cannot and will not be tolerated. I understand that Mr. Young is regretful, and it is my expectation that he will learn from this unfortunate episode.”
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)