Apr 30, 2012, 7:19 PM EST
Young was charged with third-degree assault and an aggravated harassment hate crime for an alleged altercation outside the Tigers’ hotel in New York City last Friday morning.
The suspension is retroactive to April 27, so he’ll be eligible to return this Friday when the Tigers take on the White Sox.
Here’s the full statement from MLB:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Detroit Tigers outfielder Delmon Young has been suspended for seven days without pay, retroactive to Friday, April 27th, for the incident that occurred in New York last week.
Young will be eligible to be reinstated from the Restricted List prior to Detroit’s game on Friday, May 4th. Young also will be required to participate in a treatment program as a part of the discipline related to this matter.
Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig said: “Those associated with our game should meet the responsibilities and standards that stem from our game’s stature as a social institution. An incident like this cannot and will not be tolerated. I understand that Mr. Young is regretful, and it is my expectation that he will learn from this unfortunate episode.”
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)