Apr 30, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
If you missed it over the weekend, during the Brewers-Cardinals game, Tim McCarver — winner of the Ford Frick Award for Broadcasting Excellence — offered a an explanation for why there are more home runs hit these days than back in his day.
Smaller parks? Worse pitching? A lively ball? Bulked up hitters? Nah. Global warming:
“It has not been proven, but I think ultimately it will be proven that the air is thinner now, there have been climactic changes over the last 50 years in the world, and I think that’s one of the reasons balls are carrying much better now than I remember.”
Joe Buck, somewhat amused at this, made an Al Gore joke, but McCarver didn’t really lighten up, saying “I think they’re going to find that out one of these days, yes I do … that’s a theory, but we’ll see.”
Not sure how I feel about all of that. On the one hand, I am always heartened when I hear people aware of and concerned by climate change and its effects because addressing the problem means first appreciating the problem.
On the other hand, it opens the door for this conversation:
Me: Look, the science is clear, climate change is real and man’s impact on that is damn nigh undeniable. We need to think about how to be better stewards of our planet!
Climate-change-denying friend: Heh, yeah, but if you believe that, it means you think Tim McCarver is right about something.
Me: OK, fine, you have me there … Wanna go drill for oil in the park?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 8
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 17
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)