Apr 30, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Why the signing was delayed for a week is unclear, but Matsui was never going to immediately join the Rays anyway.
Instead he’ll head to Triple-A, where the Rays will evaluate whether the 38-year-old has anything left in the tank and wait to see if they even need help at designated hitter or left field. Right now Luke Scott is slugging .610 as their primary DH and there’s certainly no room for Matsui in the Desmond Jennings-B.J. Upton-Matt Joyce outfield.
After posting an OPS above .775 in each of his first eight seasons Matsui hit just .251 with 12 homers and a .696 OPS in 141 games for the A’s last year, topping a .700 OPS in just one month.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)