Apr 30, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Why the signing was delayed for a week is unclear, but Matsui was never going to immediately join the Rays anyway.
Instead he’ll head to Triple-A, where the Rays will evaluate whether the 38-year-old has anything left in the tank and wait to see if they even need help at designated hitter or left field. Right now Luke Scott is slugging .610 as their primary DH and there’s certainly no room for Matsui in the Desmond Jennings–B.J. Upton–Matt Joyce outfield.
After posting an OPS above .775 in each of his first eight seasons Matsui hit just .251 with 12 homers and a .696 OPS in 141 games for the A’s last year, topping a .700 OPS in just one month.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 168
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (170)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)