Apr 30, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Why the signing was delayed for a week is unclear, but Matsui was never going to immediately join the Rays anyway.
Instead he’ll head to Triple-A, where the Rays will evaluate whether the 38-year-old has anything left in the tank and wait to see if they even need help at designated hitter or left field. Right now Luke Scott is slugging .610 as their primary DH and there’s certainly no room for Matsui in the Desmond Jennings-B.J. Upton-Matt Joyce outfield.
After posting an OPS above .775 in each of his first eight seasons Matsui hit just .251 with 12 homers and a .696 OPS in 141 games for the A’s last year, topping a .700 OPS in just one month.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (130)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)