Apr 30, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Charges against Vladimir Guerrero were apparently dropped after a police officer in the Dominican Republic accused the former MVP of assault earlier this month and now the Diamondbacks are giving him a tryout.
General manager Kevin Towers broke that news while appearing on the team’s television broadcast yesterday, although he indicated pretty strongly that there’s no expectation of Guerrero signing with Arizona.
It sounds similar to last month, when Guerrero worked out for the Indians and didn’t sign, with general manager Chris Antonetti revealing afterward that they did it mostly as a favor to Guerrero at his request.
Cleveland then went on to sign Johnny Damon, which doesn’t bode well for Guerrero impressing the Diamondbacks. And his inability to play the outfield on a regular basis at age 37 also figures to make it tough to crack a National League roster.
Guerrero hit .290 for the Orioles last season, but managed only 13 homers and 17 walks in 145 games for a measly .317 on-base percentage and .416 slugging percentage.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?