Albert Pujols is not happy with Angels hitting coach Mickey Hatcher

May 1, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim's first baseman Pujols watches the field during their spring training game at Tempe Diablo Stadium in Arizona

Someone seems a bit surly.

Before last night’s Angels-Twins game, the Angels hitters and hitting coach Mickey Hatcher had their usual pre-series meeting. During the meeting Albert Pujols stood up and said some inspiring words of some kind about how he’s going to turn it around and go team and all of that.

That’s cool. Good to see the big man keep his confidence up.  Angels hitting coach Mickey Hatcher thought it was good too, and he told the media about it after the game. Then someone asked Albert about it. Scott Miller of CBS Sports.com tells us, however, that Pujols wasn’t too happy:

“Mickey should have never told you guys that,” Pujols said. “That stuff needs to be private. He should have never told the media.  What we talked about at the meeting, not disrespecting Mickey, but that stuff should stay behind closed doors.”

Pujols said he intends to speak with Hatcher about the matter.

Jeez, lighten up, Frances.

In other news: Emo Albert.

1. randygnyc - May 1, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I’m sure if he had Kemp like stats, Pujols wouldn’t have said anything. But because he outweighs his BA, and he has as many hr’s this year as Lenny Dykstra, he’s letting his frustration show. And exactly like poison sumac, Albert’s woes seem to be contagious. Don’t scratch, fatty.

2. stex52 - May 1, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Get a few hits, Albert. Then you can run around and order people around in the clubhouse.

3. buffalo65 - May 1, 2012 at 8:35 AM

People tend to get more irritable as they close in on 40.

• paperlions - May 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Person experience tells me that passing 40 doesn’t really help. :-)

• hasbeen5 - May 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I think you mean .040

4. btwicey - May 1, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Love HBT and PFT but the snarky shrude comments to sign off every second article irks me.

• aceshigh11 - May 1, 2012 at 9:10 AM

If snarky comments irk you, I honestly fail to see how you could really love HBT, because those snarky comments are one of the KEY features of the site.

Even when directed towards the teams I like, I end up chuckling, because it IS just a game.

5. brewcrewfan54 - May 1, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Pujols act for the last several years of being the baseball sheriff for every team has grown tiresome no matter what numbers he’s currently putting up.

• spudchukar - May 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Which might be meaningful if it contained an ounce of truth. Sounds much more like a Brewers fan who after being sent packing year, after year, after year by Pujols and the Cards needs to try and find fault with the team and its main man. Envy such an ugly emotion.

• brewcrewfan54 - May 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM

You just couldn’t be more wrong.

• spudchukar - May 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Witty repartee.

6. paperlions - May 1, 2012 at 8:47 AM

The emo Albert pictures thing is 12 kinds of lame. First, because many of the pictures are not consistent with the theme. Second, as many pictures of Albert as are taken every year, at least 21 picture of less-than-happy Albert could be found for just about any April of his career. Baseball is a game of failure, at least 1/2 the time, the hitter isn’t happy with the outcome of his AB.

• Gobias Industries - May 1, 2012 at 9:08 AM

New meme: emo paperlions.

• stlouis1baseball - May 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Paper…let’s start using a different number just to shake things up a bit.
      How about…7 kinds of stupid. Or 15 kinds of lame. Either one works very well.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I like the 7 Kinds of Stupid. There’s alliteration in that, and 7 is one of them magic numbers. It works. But 15 Kinds of Lame? I don’t know, Lou. I’m thinking that’s a rough number for lame. Maybe a Baker’s Dozen of Lame? Which is 12 lames + 1 extra lame bonus for on your way home or to the office.

7. ajcardsfan - May 1, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Poor Albert, the price of a big media market and him not producing is getting to him. Why didn’t anybody warn him? Oh wait…

8. paperlions - May 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I hope during their “talk”, Hatcher said, “Sorry Albert, I didn’t want to tell the media, but God told me I should share that story with the fans to give them comfort.”

• stlouis1baseball - May 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

You nailed it Paper. God told Mickey to share the story. LOL! Well played.

• paperlions - May 1, 2012 at 11:30 AM

It is a favorite retort of mine whenever a bible thumper criticizes me about something….as far as they know, God wanted me to do whatever it is I did…or…better yet, he placed me in their path to test their faith….they really can’t say I am not an instrument of God because they have no way of knowing that. This type of experiment really separates people that do believe in God from those that just put on airs.

• spudchukar - May 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM

In fairness to Pujols he has not spent much time bible-thumping. Nobody and I guarantee you nobody despises the “God is on my side” meme more than me. Certainly Pujols has let it be known that he is deeply religious, but I know of no proselytizing. And let’s face it, Mickey Hatcher needs help, although psychoanalysis would be a more desirable direction than religion.

One last note. Isn’t there something intrinsically wrong with the notion that Mickey Hatcher, who sports a lifetime OPS of .690 over 12 seasons, should ever try to instruct Albert Pujols, the premier hitter of his generation?

9. Jonny 5 - May 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM

So Albert Calls out Hatcher to the media because he was talking about Albert in the media? If positive feedback to the media gets under his skin at this point he’s never going to start hitting. Kinda sounds like somebody is being a big baby about nothing.

10. The Common Man - May 1, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Mickey will just have to cheer Albert up and smooth things over with his comically oversized glove: http://www.hardballtimes.com/images/uploads/Hatcher.jpg. Oh, comically oversized glove, there are no fences you can’t mend.

• nolanwiffle - May 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM

“That’s a pretty big glove, man…..that’s all I’m sayin’.”

– Tiny Elvis

• stlouis1baseball - May 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Hahaha! He just might be able to make contact with that Glove Common.
      You could be on to something.

11. randygnyc - May 1, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Pujols may be the biggest superstar in baseball without any fans. He abandoned his fan base in St Louis. Fans who appreciate good baseball nationwide have become cynical because of his departure. And there aren’t any Angel fans yet willing to call him their own. Sure he’s got his family, but he’s most certainly feeling small and lonely these days.

12. mybrunoblog - May 1, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Wow. The bright lights of the LA market shine right in your eyes sometimes. Hey Albert, was it worth it to leave your protective cocoon back in that nice friendly St. Louis market for the extra $20 or 30 million?

May 1st and a robust .217 BA with 0 HRs….eewww what smells here?

13. drez146 - May 1, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Poor Albert maybe you should talk to Arte on the phone again….he got you all warm and fuzzy a few months ago when he swept you away with his words on the phone.

14. sj39 - May 1, 2012 at 9:25 AM

AP forgot that the sin of greed carries a high price.

15. AlohaMrHand - May 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Anyone smell a clubhouse cancer?ive noticed the Cards are still doing well despite no El hombre

16. yahmule - May 1, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Somewhere, in every Major League clubhouse hangs this sign:

What you see here
    What you say here
    When you leave here
    Let it stay here

17. thefalcon123 - May 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Oh Albert. You’re dickishness is far less charming when it comes coupled with an OPS lower than Alfredo Griffin’s.

• nategearhart - May 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I was just about to get on here and rant…why is everyone acting like Pujols turned into a whiny bitch after he signed with LAA? Pujols has ALWAYS been a whiny bitch. He just happens to be really fun to watch play baseball.
      Good on you, falcon.

• spindervish - May 1, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Thank you.

A while back I believe Craig posted a piece asking something to the effect of, “How can people dislike Albert Pujols?” My initial reaction was, “How can people not?”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I’m amazed he can hit considering he’s still standing in the batter’s box in houston watching that missile he hit off Lidge many years ago.

18. stlouis1baseball - May 1, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Rough start huh Albert? Chin up buddy.
    Go buy yourself a car, put in a new home theater system…or perhaps punch yourself in the face.

• Gobias Industries - May 1, 2012 at 12:50 PM

stlouis1baseball, on Mets fans booing Jose Reyes, April 25: “There are certain “fanbases” who quickly forget who used to butter their bread. And make no mistake…Jose buttered their bread for years. It’s just unfortunate said ‘fans’ fail to acknowledge, recognize or appreciate that.”

stlouis1baseball, on long-time Cardinal fan bread butterer Albert Pujols, May 1: “Punch yourself in the face.”

• stlouis1baseball - May 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Yes Gobias. And on that note…I can promise you if/when AP returns to Busch Stadium he will receive a resounding standing ovation. As I mentioned in the previous post…the only former Cardinals player I can think of who was booed at Busch was J.D. Drew.
        But I can still have disdain for a Man who lied to everyone. And that is really what it boils down to for me. He. Lied. Is he entitled to receive his money? Absolutely.
        Do I be-grudge him? No way. But I absolutely have an issue with him lieing about it.
        Again…that is where it all “lies” with me anyway. Just. Don’t. Lie.

19. racksie - May 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Well at Albert needs to confer with Torii over who would be the best answer for the hitting coach. Torii did it in Minnesota. Sure he’s be happy to throw someone else under the bus.

20. blabidibla - May 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Wonder what all the haters will do when Pujols starts crushing like he always does? Non-story. This is classic media trying to create something out of nothing.

• mybrunoblog - May 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM

A “Non story”???? Huh? Arguably the biggest free agent in MLB history is off to an atrocious start, calls out a longtime, well respected batting coach and his team that was expected to contend is off to a terrible start….Yeah you’re right. Nothing to see here folks!

• blabidibla - May 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM

He didn’t “call out” Hatcher. Stop sensationalizing. He said he’d rather keep what he said in private…well, private, in an effort to keep the media from sensationalizing his comments.

• blabidibla - Jun 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Batting coach is now gone, and Pujols is crushing like he always does.

Non-story.

21. cosanostra71 - May 1, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I find it odd that the commenters on here rag on Albert for cashing in on a very successful career, but support Ryan Braun despite the steroids allegations. It just seems strange to me that getting paid is frowned upon more than steroids.

• cosanostra71 - May 1, 2012 at 10:19 AM

also, Angels fans aren’t happy with Mickey Hatcher as well, so Albert is not in the minority on this issue.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 1, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Or maybe Pujols isn’t as likable a guy as the media would like us to believe? Also schadenfreude…

• cosanostra71 - May 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM

he seems likable enough to me, but he has only been in Anaheim for a few months, so it may just still be in the honeymoon period.

22. hank10 - May 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM

As Jimmy Serrano said in Midnight Run: ‘Relax. Have a cream soda’.

23. cardinalcrazy - May 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I’m still enjoying the fact that Pujols last official homerun (not including spring training) was with the Cardinal’s. Who would have though on May 1st, Pujols would have 0 homeruns. I guess the pressure is too much.

24. Amadeus - May 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM

240 million doesn’t buy as much as it used to.

25. psousa1 - May 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Not in the NL anymore………………..

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3474)