May 1, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
UPDATE: As expected, the Cardinals activated Craig from the DL. Rule 5 pick Erik Komatsu was designated for assignment to make room on the roster.
Allen Craig is slated to return from November knee surgery and rejoin the Cardinals’ lineup tonight, several weeks later than initially hoped.
Despite the delay Craig told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that the added time off allowed his knee to truly get healthy and stronger, saying: “I feel good out there right now. I’m ready to play.”
And it showed during his minor-league rehab assignment, as Craig destroyed Single-A and Triple-A pitching for a .357 batting average and three homers in seven games, posting a 1.058 OPS.
That includes a pair of homers and five RBIs in his final rehab outing on Monday, at which point the Cardinals decided it was time to bring him back. Lance Berkman‘s calf injury means there’s room for Allen Craig at first base, although that also means rookie Matt Carpenter will lose playing time despite hitting well as Berkman’s initial replacement.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)