Bud Selig issues a statement about the Dodgers being sold

May 1, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Bud Selig always says nice things when a team is sold. Remember when Frank McCourt bought the Dodgers?  Selig had this to say then:

A day after News Corp. reached an agreement in principle to sell the Dodgers to Boston real estate magnate Frank McCourt for $430 million, MLB commissioner Bud Selig expressed confidence the deal would be completed despite questions about whether McCourt had sufficient financial backing.

“I’m not concerned,” Selig said Saturday about the proposed sale … “I don’t think Allen & Co., Stan Shuman or Fox would have gone this far if they felt there were economic problems that couldn’t be surmounted.”

Yeah, well, everyone is entitled to be wrong sometimes. The key is not letting that get you down and moving forward with confidence and optimism. Which is what Selig did today when the new owners of the Dodgers took control:

“After a long and difficult road, the sale of the Dodgers is now complete, and I am pleased that the club can have the fresh start it deserves under new ownership.  I congratulate Mark Walter, Magic Johnson, Stan Kasten and all of their partners, and I look forward to working with them.  In addition, I want to personally thank all Dodger fans for their patience and loyalty during this trying period.  I have said many times that we owed it to them to ensure that the club was being operated properly and would be guided appropriately in the future.  It is my great hope and firm expectation that today’s change in ownership marks the start of a new era for the Los Angeles Dodgers and that this historic franchise will once again make the city of Los Angeles proud.

“Despite going through bankruptcy court, this process required the same due diligence and analysis that any other sale would demand.  Through all the challenges of this highly unique situation, our requirements were met.  Ultimately, the sale produced a record figure in all of sports, illustrating the strength of our industry.

“The 2012 season is off to a remarkable start.  As we welcome the new stewards of the Dodgers, I am grateful that the unbecoming events of recent years are behind us and the focus can be squarely on the field, where the Dodgers currently hold the best record in the National League.”

Here’s hoping we’re not revisiting this again in 2020.

1. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - May 1, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Selig then went back to his office, swallowed one of the fish from his snack tank, told his secretary to order him some celebratory lard (for the lubrication), and continued being a horrible person hiding a dubious business model behind an antitrust exemption.

• Old Gator - May 2, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Dazzling metaphorical compression, verging on poetry. This Bud’s for…eh….stuff that, go treat yourself to a Heineken. You just earned it.

2. mybrunoblog - May 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Please STFU buddy boy.

3. oquintero99 - May 1, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Dodger fans: have you seen any new promos or offers or discounts on concessions, tix, etc??

• 4d3fect - May 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I got 18 cans of Dodger branded Bud at the Rite-Aid for $10.99.

That’s the only promo I’ve ever gotten from ten years of going to Dodger games.

• foreverchipper10 - May 2, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I wish I could buy beer almost anywhere. Stupid Pennsylvania liquor laws……*grumble grumble*….

• cosanostra71 - May 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I’m an Angels fan, but I watch Dodgers games on occasion and I haven’t seen any yet.

4. leftywildcat - May 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Bud needs a comb.

5. micker716 - May 1, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Way to pat yourself on the back, Bud. Never mind that you are responsible for Frank McCourt and his disastrous ownership of one of the cornerstone franchises in baseball. The success of MLB can only be appreciated when you consider the incompetence of this weak, greedy, mealy-mouthed commissioner. Go ahead and chalk this up as another win.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5450)