May 1, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT
Affeldt is in the final season of a three-year, $14 million deal and tossed 11 innings with a 4.09 ERA and 10/4 K/BB ratio in a setup role.
One-time Mariners top prospect turned minor-league journeyman Travis Blackley was called up from Triple-A to take his spot on the roster and in the bullpen. Blackley debuted for Seattle in 2004 as a 21-year-old before injuries derailed his career, but was fantastic at Triple-A this season with a 0.39 ERA and 19/3 K/BB ratio in 23 innings.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)