May 1, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT
Affeldt is in the final season of a three-year, $14 million deal and tossed 11 innings with a 4.09 ERA and 10/4 K/BB ratio in a setup role.
One-time Mariners top prospect turned minor-league journeyman Travis Blackley was called up from Triple-A to take his spot on the roster and in the bullpen. Blackley debuted for Seattle in 2004 as a 21-year-old before injuries derailed his career, but was fantastic at Triple-A this season with a 0.39 ERA and 19/3 K/BB ratio in 23 innings.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 6
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)