Just for the record, baseball has had at least 26 DUI arrests since 2004

May 1, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT

La Russa Mugshot

Yesterday I noted how baseball has a DUI problem that, unlike the Delmon Young situation, has basically gone unrecognized by the league. Certainly unpunished.

Last month longtime reader Arun Gupta went back and counted them up and he found 26 DUI arrests dating back to 2004.  He has a list of them here.

Not all of them resulted in convictions for drunk driving. Many of them resulted in plea deals to lesser charges, as is often the case with DUIs.  At least one of the players — Derek Lowe — had the charges dropped.

But it’s also the case that Delmon Young has yet to be convicted of anything — his next court date is May 29 — and he too could have the charges against him reduced, pleaded out or dropped, yet he has still been suspended.

The DUI guys, though? Not much discipline in there.

1. mybrunoblog - May 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I still can’t grasp how these fools get popped for DUI. These guys are mostly insanely wealthy. Why don’t they have a car and driver? Stupid is as stupid does. MLB should drop the hammer on these guys. Let’s see the MLBPA try to defend drunk drivers. Be a PR nightmare….but we know they’ll try anyway.

• davidpom50 - May 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Not sure if it’s the same in MLB, but the NFL has a number players can call from anywhere at any time, and the league will find a car and driver to get them home safely – and yet, the NFL also has more than it’s fair share of DUIs. At least under Goodell they’ve been punishing those idiots.

2. proudlycanadian - May 1, 2012 at 9:30 AM

A sorry looking picture of The Great Leader.

• stlouis1baseball - May 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I actually think it is a clean looking picture P.C.
      And for the record…no surprises whatsoever with Calcaterra posting a mug shot TLR.
      I have come to expect it out of Craig.

• kopy - May 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM

He’s had one of the most recent and high-profile DUI arrests, and if he didn’t have one, then Craig wouldn’t use a picture of him.

• proudlycanadian - May 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Isn’t St Louis off to a much better season this year than last even without Pujols and TLR?

• Craig Calcaterra - May 1, 2012 at 10:16 AM

“Expect” what? That I would use a picture of perhaps the highest profile DUI arrest in recent major league history — the currently-reigning World Series manager and a sure-shot future Hall of Famer — in an article about baseball’s disconnect with respect to DUIs?

Or is it just because he was the manager of your team that you’re implying that it’s somehow a low blow or unfair?

Honestly, I want you to tell me what, other than your discomfort that someone you rooted for was used, is somehow unfair or cheap or whatever it is you’re implying about my use of La Russa here.

Seriously, the fanboy crap out of some people around here is ridiculous.

• stlouis1baseball - May 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM

It’s really quite simple Craig. Of the 26 people…I am not suprised you chose a mugshot of TLR. When I read the headline…I actually called it. Fanboy? Am I a fan? Absolutely. But I also have no problems calling him out for sometimes being a cantakerous ass who over thinks things. I am also a fan of Bob Knight. Who can also be a cantakerous ass.
        Which come to think of it…could be a very good reason why they are such great friends. Hahaha!

• phillyphreak - May 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Man clairvoyance. Calling that a picture of TLR would be used after reading the headline….right above a picture of TLR….
        :-)

• paperlions - May 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM

StL1…of the 26 people TLR was the oldest and the one in the greatest position of authority/leadership/respect. More should be expected from a 60 yr old manager of 30 yrs than from a 25 yr old ball player. If your “leaders” can’t be bothered to not drive drunk (which by his own admission TLR likely did often…he didn’t say he did…he just said that he had a couple glasses of wine with dinner….like he always did), it isn’t reasonable to expect non-leaders to be held to that standard.

To me, the TLR arrest was especially egregious considering that it occurred not long after Josh Hancock’s death.

3. stlouis1baseball - May 1, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Thanks for stating the obvious Kopy. I was simply making the comment that of 26 people he chooses TLR. No worries. Again…I have come to expect it.

• mgv38 - May 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM

That’s because Craig didn’t have an available pic of Josh Hancock. Wait, that wasn’t a DUI. Sorry.

• stlouis1baseball - May 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Josh Hancock? Really MGV? I will agree with you on one. You are definately “sorry.”

4. stlouis1baseball - May 1, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Definately off the a hot start PC. I wasn’t really surprised though as A.P. had the worse season of his career last year and yet St. Louis led the NL in every conceivable offensive category.
    If I am remembering correctly…I think they were 3rd in all of MLB last year offensively.
    I gotta’ tell you though…I couldn’t put a number on the amount of times I have said “Albert who” this year. Never thought I would say that. Let alone repeating it like a broken record. It’s certainly been a surprise from that standpoint.

5. tuftsb - May 1, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I’m shocked to find out that a league that plays at Coors Field, Miller Park and Busch Stadium may have a tendency towards abuse of alcohol.

The NYC subway ads say “Grab Some Buds” – plural not singular – and the ingrained baseball culture is one of daily alcohol usage by fans and players.

• woodenulykteneau - May 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Or the “Thirsty Thursdays” they do in the minors, where it’s not uncommon at all to see people pay to get in and never actually watch the game. (Unfortunately, those that do are often unable to NOT make their presence known).

• 18thstreet - May 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I drank a lot more when I was in my 20s (the age of most major leaguers), and if I had been richer, and didn’t have to show up to work the afternoon, I would have drunk even more. So I don’t fault MLB for having a culture of drinking. This is young men we’re talking about.

But I think mybrunoblog is completely right. Hard to imagine why they don’t take more private cars.

• tuftsb - May 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Baseball never prepared me for the daily alcoholic consumption by futures and foreign exchange clients on Wall Street…or attending a Phillies game.

6. steveohho - May 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM

DUIs are a b_s charge. Over the years, the level of alcohol in your blood that triggers sanctions surprisingly keeps moving downward. Following the money. Local governments want stringent DUI laws because of the cash they net from middle to upper class offenders. The typical visitor to “downtown” doesn’t have much money, but the DUI people typically have the resources to pay the lawyers, court houses, drug testing firms, drug courts, parole officers etc. Its just another gravy train for the local parasites.

• woodenulykteneau - May 1, 2012 at 11:47 AM

How many have you had?

• jimbo1949 - May 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM

“Bullshit charge?” So you’ve either had to pay the piper or never known anyone injured or murdered by someone driving while impaired.
      Enough people have had enough of the carnage created by drunk drivers. Fines, a gravy train? Lives ruined by DUIs are the reason why local governments are cracking down. Have you ever seen someone running for local or ANY political office advocating driving drunk?

• stabonerichard - May 1, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Ooh, look at me, I’m provocative, even if lacking perspective.

• Bar None - May 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM

You are off your rocker. I once drank to the point I felt buzzed and stopped by a station the local PD had set up to test your BAC and I was so far under the limit, then I walked home. You have to drink A LOT to reach .08.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 1, 2012 at 12:12 PM

You have to drink A LOT to reach .08.

Depends on your age group honestly. A 200 lb college age kid could easily put back 6 beers in 2 hours, and that puts you right around 0.08. He probably doesn’t think that’s a lot compared to a 50 year old father of three.

Regardless, funny how steveohho makes a comment that it’s all about the money, yet according to this list the US has one of the highest limits for DUI in the civilized world. Most are at 0.05 or lower:

• 18thstreet - May 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Car crashes are the leading cause of death for teenagers.

7. stlouis1baseball - May 1, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Philly: “Man clairvoyance.” Valid point. However, in my case the links come to me via email and I can’t see any images until I click on (and open) the link. Again…when I read the headline I immediately thought…”here comes TLR’s picture.” But I do hear what you are saying.
    It’s just that way I am set up…I don’t see anything but the headline and brief description of the article.
    It really doesn’t matter. I was just giving Calcaterra a hard time and he went all crazy town on me.

• gsrider911 - May 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM

@stlouis1baseball: Let it go dude, you’re starting to (if you aren’t already) come off like a total D-bag.
      TLR got a DUI. He’s the highest ranking person and biggest name of the 26 people on the list, therefore: HE WILL BE THE FACE OF THIS ARTICLE.
      You are berating the writer for something that your hero did himself! He is accountable for his actions, not Calcaterra dude. Get a job, you’re too engrossed in this topic as I see you’re all over it today.
      Calcaterra is simply pointing out that D Young hasn’t been charged with anything but has been suspended by the League. It appears that what D Young he SAID is more offensive than the life-taking, socially irresponsible act of committing a DUI.
      It struck me as offensive last week when the Commissioners team “the Brewers” were having kids lead the mid-inning rendition of “Roll out the Barrel” at Miller park.
      How can these kids grow up to be anything but socially irresponsible drug addicts like Tony LaRussa?

• stlouis1baseball - May 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Rider: I am not familiar with you. So if you are long time HBT guy I apologize for not recognizing you. Please know I am done with it.
        In other words…I have “let it go”…dude.
        I also happen to have a job…but thanks for your concern.
        For what it’s worth…I am with you 100% on the whole “roll out the barrel” deal.
        No worries.

8. jimbo1949 - May 1, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Bullshit charge? So you’ve either had to pay the piper or never known anyone injured or murdered by someone driving while impaired.

9. Bar None - May 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Obviously you all don’t know how much racist comments hurt people. Drunk driving doesn’t hurt anyone. Errr, wait. Didn’t MLB lose a player because some drunk hit him? Oh yeah. This is stupid. At least Young was walking drunk.

10. jeffbbf - May 1, 2012 at 2:20 PM

So 26 guys got busted for DUI in 8 1/2 years. That’s about 26 out of, say, 10,000 people who have been rostered or been an active coach/manager over that time. Maybe the question/issue should be whether or not this percenctage is significantly higher than the rest of the population. If so, then MLB should look at it more closely. As it sits now, this story really doesn’t carry any weight without that perspective. That’s not to say that *anyone* driving under the influence isn’t making a life-threatening mistake and doesn’t deserve a severe penalty.

• arungupta27 - May 1, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I have to disagree with you. Who cares if it’s higher or lower than the rest of the US population? DUI’s kill. And they’ve killed baseball players. Sure, in most of these cases, nobody was injured. But it goes beyond that- they shouldn’t be in that position to begin with.

Arun

• jeffbbf - May 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM

You’re just arguing a point I wasn’t trying to make. Yes, DUIs are bad – people who drive under the influence, whether caught or not, are being incredibly selfish, stupid, and reckless. However, the lead of the story was that MLB has a DUI problem. I’m not sure it does – at least not more than any segment of the population. I think you need the stats to show that it’s worse in MLB than it is in the general population before there’s some claim that baseball has a problem. I don’t think it’s fair to the players, coaches, or the game itself.

11. savocabol1 - May 1, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I am organizing a protest of all of stlouis1basebal comments! Thumbs down every time!!!

• stlouis1baseball - May 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I agree Savo. Thumbs down every time! It would help if it actually mattered to me.
      But what the hell…I agree. In fact…I am thumbs downing this one as soon as it posts.
      BTW…you new here?

12. dexterismyhero - May 1, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Is this just the Majors? How about the Minor leaguers?

As far as the TLR photo, he was passed out in an intersection with the car in gear.

13. arungupta27 - May 1, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Yes, this is just the majors. I wonder what the difference is in DUI rate between minor and major leaguers–I’d imagine it’s not that different. These guys think they’re invincible. Maybe a suspension and a hit to the wallet will make them think twice.

14. bluesoxbaseball - May 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM

In this mug shot, LaRussa looks like Pauley Walnuts.

Ace-killer Giants do it again