May 1, 2012, 1:01 AM EDT
As if falling to 6-16 with a loss to the Angels wasn’t bad enough for the Twins tonight, Justin Morneau exited the game with soreness in his surgically repaired left wrist.
Even worse, Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports that Morneau is flying back to Minnesota to be examined by a team doctor, which isn’t a good sign considering the Twins are just beginning a six-game West Coast road trip that goes through Sunday.
Morneau has played 20 of 22 games after entering the season as a huge question mark following his concussion-related health problems and multiple surgeries. His production has been very inconsistent, including a .239 batting average and .313 on-base percentage, but he has shown good power with four homers and five doubles in 74 at-bats.
And now the Twins will wait to see if the former MVP has a third straight season ruined by injuries.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)