Kevin Youkilis out of Red Sox lineup for third straight game

May 1, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox v Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Getty Images

For the third straight game the Red Sox will be without Kevin Youkilis, as the third baseman is sitting out tonight’s matchup versus the A’s with a sore back.

Youkilis was initially in the lineup yesterday before being a late scratch and barring an appearance off the bench tonight he will have played just 18 of the first 23 games while hitting .213 with a .635 OPS.

Youkilis also struggled down the stretch last season, hitting a combined .190 in August and September in between disabled list stints for a back injury and sports hernia.

Light-hitting utility man Nick Punto will continue to fill in at third base.

1. spindervish - May 1, 2012 at 3:31 PM

The warning signs have been there, but who would’ve thought this guy’s body would completely crap out on him this quickly? He’s gone from being one of the best hitters in the league straight to looking like a massive liability, completely bypassing what I figured would be a couple years of league-average production.

On a somewhat related note, we have to be about one more shitty start away from the “WTF is wrong with Clay Buchholz?” article, right?

• drewsylvania - May 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM

For some reason I thought we already had that article…I’m waiting for the “Should the Red Sox demote Clay Buchholz” article.

The Sox should try to keep Youk until he has a reasonable run of health and production, then trade him while his value is high. Assuming he does have that run, though…

2. zwilhelm16 - May 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM

He wont be around at the end of this season unfortunately. Hell of a player just not build to play 3rd everyday.

3. billymc75 - May 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Good idea keeping Him over Beltre, I gues a Terry wasn’t the problem, getting rid of a two time world series coach for Bobby V , next time get rid of your beloved players.

• mornelithe - May 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Youkilis had nothing to do with the Beltre trade, that was to make room for (payroll-wise) Crawford/Gonzo. And just like Youk’s poor health, no one saw Crawford sucking hind teat like he has either.

• drewsylvania - May 1, 2012 at 4:51 PM

To be fair, it was much easier to see Youk having health issues than Crawford going splat. Guy has a bad body and misses time every year.

• mornelithe - May 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Oh that’s definitely true, without a doubt. I was just putting the Beltre trade into perspective. Youk was certainly productive when healthy (and typically pretty clutch), and nowhere near the price tag of Beltre. Sox took a gamble and thus far, it’s not really paid off very well.

That having been said, the Sox offense is hardly a problem at the moment. Though, in hindsight, had they kept Beltre, signed Gonzo and left Crawford where he’s at….the line-up would be pretty heinous.

4. Jack Marshall - May 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM

All premature concerns. He’s had this back problem periodically throughout his career, and he was hitting well before he went down.

• mornelithe - May 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Yeah, but it’s been quite awhile since he’s produced consistently, and the injuries continue to interfere with him getting back into a groove.

• jwbiii - May 1, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Besides, you could tell he wasn’t as physically or emotionally into it as he has been in the past.

• mornelithe - May 2, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Well, as much as I like the guy’s past production, if he’s not into it, he’s taking up space for people who could. As I said, I like Youk, but liking someone, and them producing on a limited roster space are completely different things.

5. randygnyc - May 1, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Sure that’ll work. What, are you going to shop him to other teams using a Domincan alias? Like it’s one big secret and nobody else knows his extensive injury history?

• drewsylvania - May 1, 2012 at 4:58 PM

The trade will probably happen, because he’s a free agent after the season, but I doubt he’ll bring back anywhere near what Sox fans will think he’s worth. It might be just like the Nomar trade, where an oft-injured fan favorite got shipped out for a rental and a backup.

6. randygnyc - May 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM

For a trade to happen, he must definitely be playing. If he’s not on the field, he can’t be traded, not even for an independent league, blind catcher.

7. randygnyc - May 1, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Drew-On another note, NY media often reports that youklis and ellesbury hate each other and that ellesbury (already considering other options) wouldn’t resign with youklis on the team. Any truth to this?

• mornelithe - May 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I’ve never heard of any rift between Youk and Els, myself. As far as the media goes, the Boston media’s all over the Sox about as much as the NY media would be. So, I’d assume we would’ve heard/seen something on it by now. Could be wrong though.

• drewsylvania - May 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM

No clue, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all, given that Youk basically threw Ellsbury under the bus last season. Youkilis can’t be the easiest guy to live with in a clubhouse–he complains all the time. Usually about himself, I think, and probably the umps (who doesn’t?), but still, it’s gotta grate.

• drewsylvania - May 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Basically, Youk called out Ellsbury in the media for being soft. It was two years ago, though, during Ellsbury’s injured season, not last year, when Ellsbury played like God.

8. Old Gator - May 2, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Well, with Youkilis on the bench Fenway will be that much prettier for a few days. I think the Beanbags ought to forget about treating that sports hernia and sew one of those mesh patches over his face instead. Dear Budha, I’ve seen speculative artists’ renderings of Yeti that were better looking.

• homelanddefense - May 2, 2012 at 9:18 AM

sounds like you spend a lot of time checking out dudes.

• Old Gator - May 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I was always a big fan of horror movie makeup and used to devote hours to my zombie persona for Halloween. When something as ugly as Yukilis appears on the scene, my sense of obligation to Forrest G. Ackerman takes over – I am, as an artist, compelled to take note and to learn what I can from it.

• Old Gator - May 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I was always a big fan of horror movie makeup and used to devote hours to my zombie persona for Halloween. When something as ugly as Youkilis appears on the scene, my sense of obligation to Forrest G. Ackerman takes over – I am, as an artist, compelled to take note and to learn what I can from it.

• Old Gator - May 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM

9. Old Gator - May 2, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Forrest J. Ackerman, I mean. And this message has been brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4039)