May 1, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
Youkilis was initially in the lineup yesterday before being a late scratch and barring an appearance off the bench tonight he will have played just 18 of the first 23 games while hitting .213 with a .635 OPS.
Youkilis also struggled down the stretch last season, hitting a combined .190 in August and September in between disabled list stints for a back injury and sports hernia.
Light-hitting utility man Nick Punto will continue to fill in at third base.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)