May 1, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
Orioles outfielder Nolan Reimold is off to a scorching start this season, batting .313 with a .627 slugging percentage, five home runs and 10 RBI through his first 69 plate appearances. But all of those good vibes are going to have to be put on hold.
According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, Reimold was diagnosed with a bulging disk in his back during a visit Tuesday with team physicians.
The injury is causing uncomfortable tingling in his fingertips, and could keep him out of the Orioles’ starting lineup for the rest of this week.
Reimold burst onto the major league scene in 2009, posting a promising .831 OPS, 15 home runs and 45 RBI in his first 104 games. The 28-year-old has been trying to match that level of production ever since.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)