May 1, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
Orioles outfielder Nolan Reimold is off to a scorching start this season, batting .313 with a .627 slugging percentage, five home runs and 10 RBI through his first 69 plate appearances. But all of those good vibes are going to have to be put on hold.
According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, Reimold was diagnosed with a bulging disk in his back during a visit Tuesday with team physicians.
The injury is causing uncomfortable tingling in his fingertips, and could keep him out of the Orioles’ starting lineup for the rest of this week.
Reimold burst onto the major league scene in 2009, posting a promising .831 OPS, 15 home runs and 45 RBI in his first 104 games. The 28-year-old has been trying to match that level of production ever since.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)