May 1, 2012, 7:16 PM EDT
Soup’s on in San Diego.
Suppan, 37, was picked even though he had allowed nine runs and 17 hits in his 6 2/3 innings for Triple-A Tucson this season. The veteran right-hander last pitched in the majors with the Cardinals in 2010. He was 3-8 with a 5.06 ERA overall that season, but after Milwaukee released him, he was 3-6 with a 3.84 ERA for St. Louis.
Luebke’s loss would be huge for the Padres if it extends beyond a start or two. The 27-year-old is 3-1 with a 2.61 ERA in five starts this season. Overall, he has a 3.30 ERA in 25 career starts, and he’s no Petco creation either, not with his 2.75 ERA in 88 1/3 innings on the road.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)