May 1, 2012, 7:16 PM EST
Soup’s on in San Diego.
Suppan, 37, was picked even though he had allowed nine runs and 17 hits in his 6 2/3 innings for Triple-A Tucson this season. The veteran right-hander last pitched in the majors with the Cardinals in 2010. He was 3-8 with a 5.06 ERA overall that season, but after Milwaukee released him, he was 3-6 with a 3.84 ERA for St. Louis.
Luebke’s loss would be huge for the Padres if it extends beyond a start or two. The 27-year-old is 3-1 with a 2.61 ERA in five starts this season. Overall, he has a 3.30 ERA in 25 career starts, and he’s no Petco creation either, not with his 2.75 ERA in 88 1/3 innings on the road.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)