May 1, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
At one point Rays minor league infielder Tim Beckham was a top prospect. He was the number one overall draft pick in 2008. He played in the Futures Game last year and everything. He’s still a prospect — Keith Law ranked him as the eighth best in the Rays system this year and he has been talked about as a potential callup to the big club — but he’s sinking fast due to what seems to be a substance abuse problem:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Tampa Bay Rays Minor League shortstop Tim Beckham has received a 50-game suspension after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a drug of abuse.
Beckham started out the year in Durham and started it poorly, hitting .204/.290/.278. And now it gets worse.
Man, between this and the Evan Longoria news, it’s been a pretty bad day for the Rays, yes?
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)