May 1, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
At one point Rays minor league infielder Tim Beckham was a top prospect. He was the number one overall draft pick in 2008. He played in the Futures Game last year and everything. He’s still a prospect — Keith Law ranked him as the eighth best in the Rays system this year and he has been talked about as a potential callup to the big club — but he’s sinking fast due to what seems to be a substance abuse problem:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Tampa Bay Rays Minor League shortstop Tim Beckham has received a 50-game suspension after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a drug of abuse.
Beckham started out the year in Durham and started it poorly, hitting .204/.290/.278. And now it gets worse.
Man, between this and the Evan Longoria news, it’s been a pretty bad day for the Rays, yes?
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 4
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 3
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)