May 1, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
At one point Rays minor league infielder Tim Beckham was a top prospect. He was the number one overall draft pick in 2008. He played in the Futures Game last year and everything. He’s still a prospect — Keith Law ranked him as the eighth best in the Rays system this year and he has been talked about as a potential callup to the big club — but he’s sinking fast due to what seems to be a substance abuse problem:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Tampa Bay Rays Minor League shortstop Tim Beckham has received a 50-game suspension after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a drug of abuse.
Beckham started out the year in Durham and started it poorly, hitting .204/.290/.278. And now it gets worse.
Man, between this and the Evan Longoria news, it’s been a pretty bad day for the Rays, yes?
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)