May 1, 2012, 5:30 PM EST
At one point Rays minor league infielder Tim Beckham was a top prospect. He was the number one overall draft pick in 2008. He played in the Futures Game last year and everything. He’s still a prospect — Keith Law ranked him as the eighth best in the Rays system this year and he has been talked about as a potential callup to the big club — but he’s sinking fast due to what seems to be a substance abuse problem:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Tampa Bay Rays Minor League shortstop Tim Beckham has received a 50-game suspension after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a drug of abuse.
Beckham started out the year in Durham and started it poorly, hitting .204/.290/.278. And now it gets worse.
Man, between this and the Evan Longoria news, it’s been a pretty bad day for the Rays, yes?
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)