May 1, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
At one point Rays minor league infielder Tim Beckham was a top prospect. He was the number one overall draft pick in 2008. He played in the Futures Game last year and everything. He’s still a prospect — Keith Law ranked him as the eighth best in the Rays system this year and he has been talked about as a potential callup to the big club — but he’s sinking fast due to what seems to be a substance abuse problem:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Tampa Bay Rays Minor League shortstop Tim Beckham has received a 50-game suspension after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a drug of abuse.
Beckham started out the year in Durham and started it poorly, hitting .204/.290/.278. And now it gets worse.
Man, between this and the Evan Longoria news, it’s been a pretty bad day for the Rays, yes?
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (162)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)