May 1, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
The move means that Farnsworth, who was originally placed on the 15-day disabled list April 5, won’t be eligible to return to the Rays’ bullpen until June 5.
Fernando Rodney will continue to handle ninth-inning duties, and has a real opportunity to simply run away with the gig. He has a 0.87 ERA in 10 1/3 innings thus far while going 7-for-7 in save chances.
Farnsworth’s injury is a right elbow strain. He is expected to embark on a throwing program soon.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)