May 1, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
The move means that Farnsworth, who was originally placed on the 15-day disabled list April 5, won’t be eligible to return to the Rays’ bullpen until June 5.
Fernando Rodney will continue to handle ninth-inning duties, and has a real opportunity to simply run away with the gig. He has a 0.87 ERA in 10 1/3 innings thus far while going 7-for-7 in save chances.
Farnsworth’s injury is a right elbow strain. He is expected to embark on a throwing program soon.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 78
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 125
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)