May 1, 2012, 9:28 PM EST
The move means that Farnsworth, who was originally placed on the 15-day disabled list April 5, won’t be eligible to return to the Rays’ bullpen until June 5.
Fernando Rodney will continue to handle ninth-inning duties, and has a real opportunity to simply run away with the gig. He has a 0.87 ERA in 10 1/3 innings thus far while going 7-for-7 in save chances.
Farnsworth’s injury is a right elbow strain. He is expected to embark on a throwing program soon.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)