May 1, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
The move means that Farnsworth, who was originally placed on the 15-day disabled list April 5, won’t be eligible to return to the Rays’ bullpen until June 5.
Fernando Rodney will continue to handle ninth-inning duties, and has a real opportunity to simply run away with the gig. He has a 0.87 ERA in 10 1/3 innings thus far while going 7-for-7 in save chances.
Farnsworth’s injury is a right elbow strain. He is expected to embark on a throwing program soon.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 79
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 221
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)