May 1, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
So far at least Kevin Youkilis has avoided the disabled list despite being out of the lineup tonight for the third straight game with a back injury, but in the meantime the Red Sox have called up shortstop prospect Jose Iglesias to provide some infield depth.
Youkilis is active but not available, so Boston demoted right-hander Junichi Tazawa to Triple-A to make room on the roster for Iglesias.
Nick Punto has been filling in for Youkilis at third base, so manager Bobby Valentine could decide to shift Mike Aviles to the hot corner instead and use the slick-fielding Iglesias at shortstop. Or maybe Iglesias will just hang around for a few days as bench insurance.
Valentine was full of praise for Iglesias during spring training, but the 22-year-old was hitting just .200 with a .485 OPS at Triple-A after posting similarly underwhelming numbers in Pawtucket last season. His defense is widely considered Gold Glove-caliber, but so far his bat hasn’t even been utility man-caliber.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 10
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 23
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 37
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL