The Royals TV ratings are, somewhat surprisingly, up

May 1, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

Royals logo

How long does preseason hype last? For TV ratings, longer than you might think. Because despite a dreadful start to the season, a lot more people are watching Royals games this year than last:

The Royals’ recent turnaround is providing a ratings boost for Fox Sports Kansas City, which reported a season-high 5.9 rating for its telecast of Sunday’s game at Minnesota. It was the highest-rated Royals’ telecast on FSKC since May 17, 2009. FSKC is averaging a 4.3 rating overall this season, which represents a 10 percent increase over last season through the same number of telecasts.

Imagine what’ll happen when all of the promise turns into actual results.

1. SmackSaw - May 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM

What? This news will only embolden Rex Hudler, ie; the worst announcer in Angels history.

• royalsfaninfargo - May 1, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Unfortunately, he is now the worst announcer in Royals history. It is hard to describe how bad he is. I will try by saying when I watch Royals games on MLB.TV I turn on the other teams broadcasts.

2. l0yalr0yal - May 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM

It’s been a while since we have had something to be excited for in Kansas City. Even if the season hasn’t started out great, and as denoted in previous posts everyone has written the royals off, but I believe we are only 4.5 games behind Detroit. Plenty of time to turn it around, if it’s possible. Moustakas is finally starting to hit like he did in the minors, Butler consistently hits doubles unless someone is on the base path, Escobar is finally putting a stick to complement his glove… there are bright spots here. Optomism was definitely at an all-time high coming in to the season, but that stupid #OurTime campaign may have set them too high. I’m loyal, through and through, so I personally haven’t played into an increase. We’ll be alright, its Kansas City baseball.

As for P90rex, I have elaborate plans to make concrete patio steps out of him.

3. randygnyc - May 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM

If a tree falls in the forest…….

• l0yalr0yal - May 1, 2012 at 5:10 PM

If a Yankees fan makes a snide remark………

4. proudlycanadian - May 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I was impressed by the Royals when they played the Jays. Even though the team was in the midst of a losing streak, they showed no quit.

5. mybrunoblog - May 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Somewhere deep in the back of my mind the Royals are wearing powder blue, have Brett, White, McRae and they win lots of games. Too bad that was like 100 Years ago.

6. groundruledoublebourbon - May 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

KC desperately wants to be a baseball town again. If a Royals team sniffs .500 after the break any time soon, it could be a lot of fun around here.

7. The Rabbit - May 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Hmmm…..
    About 2 weeks ago, my cable company under new ownership started broadcasting Royals games here in Lake Woebegone, approximately 350 miles away from Kansas City when the Cardinals weren’t playing. Prior to that, we were exclusively Cardinals. (Our Fox affiliate is Springfield, MO)
    If they expanded here, I’d suspect they did in other areas as well. Not sure what impact that has on ratings. Our cable channel choices generally suck.

All the trade deadline news to know