May 1, 2012, 5:02 PM EST
Geoff James of CSNBayArea.com passes along a report about some folks being unhappy with Yoenis Cespedes:
When Yoenis Cespedes signed a four-year, $36 million contract with the A’s in February, his representatives say he agreed to pay 17-percent of his total income to theBorn To Play Academy in the Dominican Republic, and 5-percent more to theWasserman Group, the company which represented him in contract negotiations with the A’s. According to anESPNDeportes.com report, Cespedes has not paid either.
And now he has had a claim filed against him in the Dominican Republic.
It sort of strains credulity that anyone would agree to fork over 22 percent of their bonus to someone who provided services and/or safe harbor for what amounted to a very short time. Of course, the politics and business conventions of the Cuban defector free agency business have always been somewhat oblique, shall we say.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 67
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)