Yoenis Cespedes has been sued in the Dominican Republic

May 1, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT

cespedes getty Getty Images

Geoff James of CSNBayArea.com passes along a report about some folks being unhappy with Yoenis Cespedes:

When Yoenis Cespedes signed a four-year, $36 million contract with the A’s in February, his representatives say he agreed to pay 17-percent of his total income to theBorn To Play Academy in the Dominican Republic, and 5-percent more to theWasserman Group, the company which represented him in contract negotiations with the A’s. According to anESPNDeportes.com report, Cespedes has not paid either.

And now he has had a claim filed against him in the Dominican Republic.

It sort of strains credulity that anyone would agree to fork over 22 percent of their bonus to someone who provided services and/or safe harbor for what amounted to a very short time. Of course, the politics and business conventions of the Cuban defector free agency business have always been somewhat oblique, shall we say.

1. darthicarus - May 1, 2012 at 5:11 PM

When asked to comment, Cespesdes had this to say, “I’m not sure what you are talking about. My name is Fausto Carmona.”

2. randygnyc - May 1, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Why is that so hard to believe, Craig? Haven’t you ever been drunk, curled up around the base of a toilet bowl, making promises out of desperation?

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Do contracts fall under the whole, wet-foot/dry-foot policy?

4. jwbiii - May 1, 2012 at 6:26 PM

If Born to Play produced those videos of him, they may have earned that $6M.

I thought player agents got paid directly by the teams. You’d think we would have heard more about this sort of thing if this is not the case.

• sophiethegreatdane - May 1, 2012 at 10:37 PM

>>I thought player agents got paid directly by the teams

I may be misunderstanding your comment, but of course agents are paid by the player. That’s why they are player agents. If they worked for the team, they would try to minimize player salaries, not maximize them, right?

• jwbiii - May 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM

What I meant was that the agent’s cut, usually 5% above the minimum, would be deducted from the player’s check and sent to his agent.

5. nekotman - May 2, 2012 at 1:23 AM

So who is the bigger crook? The player or the academy? I say both equally.

• downhillrider - May 2, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I would say MLB is. they allow this loophole in the 1st place.

6. racksie - May 2, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Didn’t this guy turn down more years, and, more money for this deal? I’m thinking, he has a predatory agent. 17 percent? That’s a huge number.

• jdl1325 - May 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM

The Marlins supposedly offered 6 years at $40 million. I think the 4 for $36 was the right decision.

• racksie - May 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Politely disagree, considering age, and the fact, he may not be the age stated. Point taken, though. Let’s talk in 4 years and see how this working out for him.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet