May 1, 2012, 5:02 PM EST
Geoff James of CSNBayArea.com passes along a report about some folks being unhappy with Yoenis Cespedes:
When Yoenis Cespedes signed a four-year, $36 million contract with the A’s in February, his representatives say he agreed to pay 17-percent of his total income to theBorn To Play Academy in the Dominican Republic, and 5-percent more to theWasserman Group, the company which represented him in contract negotiations with the A’s. According to anESPNDeportes.com report, Cespedes has not paid either.
And now he has had a claim filed against him in the Dominican Republic.
It sort of strains credulity that anyone would agree to fork over 22 percent of their bonus to someone who provided services and/or safe harbor for what amounted to a very short time. Of course, the politics and business conventions of the Cuban defector free agency business have always been somewhat oblique, shall we say.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (93)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)