May 2, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Boston had to call up Aaron Cook from Triple-A or risk the veteran right-hander opting out of his minor-league contract and Josh Beckett‘s sore lat muscle provides an easy solution.
Beckett has been scratched from his scheduled Saturday start against the Orioles and manager Bobby Valentine announced that Cook will join the team in time to take his place.
For now Beckett remains on the active roster and with the Red Sox doing all sorts of roster shuffling this week it’s unclear how exactly they’ll clear a spot for Cook, who’ll be starting on six days rest.
Cook has a nice-looking 1.89 ERA in five starts at Triple-A, but it’s worth noting that he has nearly as many walks (11) as strikeouts (13) in 33 innings for Pawtucket and the 33-year-old was mostly injured and ineffective in the majors for the Rockies during the past two seasons.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 0
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 16
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 21
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)