May 2, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Boston had to call up Aaron Cook from Triple-A or risk the veteran right-hander opting out of his minor-league contract and Josh Beckett‘s sore lat muscle provides an easy solution.
Beckett has been scratched from his scheduled Saturday start against the Orioles and manager Bobby Valentine announced that Cook will join the team in time to take his place.
For now Beckett remains on the active roster and with the Red Sox doing all sorts of roster shuffling this week it’s unclear how exactly they’ll clear a spot for Cook, who’ll be starting on six days rest.
Cook has a nice-looking 1.89 ERA in five starts at Triple-A, but it’s worth noting that he has nearly as many walks (11) as strikeouts (13) in 33 innings for Pawtucket and the 33-year-old was mostly injured and ineffective in the majors for the Rockies during the past two seasons.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)