May 2, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Brett Gardner is eligible to come off the disabled list Thursday after missing two weeks with a strained elbow, but manager Joe Girardi said yesterday that the left fielder is “doubtful” to be ready by then.
Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger reports that the Yankees will likely ask Gardner to make at least one minor-league rehab appearance before being cleared to return, meaning Eduardo Nunez may not be finished seeing action in the outfield quite yet despite committing an error last night.
Nunez had never started a game in left field as a major leaguer or minor leaguer prior to Monday, when he was pressed into outfield duty because Gardner is on the DL and Nick Swisher is active but sidelined with a hamstring injury.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 12
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 58
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)