May 2, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Brett Gardner is eligible to come off the disabled list Thursday after missing two weeks with a strained elbow, but manager Joe Girardi said yesterday that the left fielder is “doubtful” to be ready by then.
Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger reports that the Yankees will likely ask Gardner to make at least one minor-league rehab appearance before being cleared to return, meaning Eduardo Nunez may not be finished seeing action in the outfield quite yet despite committing an error last night.
Nunez had never started a game in left field as a major leaguer or minor leaguer prior to Monday, when he was pressed into outfield duty because Gardner is on the DL and Nick Swisher is active but sidelined with a hamstring injury.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)