May 2, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Brett Gardner is eligible to come off the disabled list Thursday after missing two weeks with a strained elbow, but manager Joe Girardi said yesterday that the left fielder is “doubtful” to be ready by then.
Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger reports that the Yankees will likely ask Gardner to make at least one minor-league rehab appearance before being cleared to return, meaning Eduardo Nunez may not be finished seeing action in the outfield quite yet despite committing an error last night.
Nunez had never started a game in left field as a major leaguer or minor leaguer prior to Monday, when he was pressed into outfield duty because Gardner is on the DL and Nick Swisher is active but sidelined with a hamstring injury.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 51
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 8
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games