May 2, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Oscar Taveras isn’t quite in the same class of prospect as Bryce Harper or Mike Trout, but now that those two are both in the majors the Cardinals outfielder is making his case as one of the minors’ elite young hitters.
Taveras won’t be 20 years old for another six weeks, but he’s currently destroying Double-A pitching after making the jump from low Single-A (where he hit .386 last season).
Taveras smacked his seventh homer last night, which is already just one short of a career-high, and is now hitting .347 with a .694 slugging percentage and 1.078 OPS in 24 games at Double-A. HardballTalk’s resident Cardinals fan, Drew Silva, has taken to calling him Oscar “Ted Williams” Taveras and the teenager figures to be near the top of most midseason prospect rankings after placing 74th on Baseball America‘s preseason list.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)