May 2, 2012, 6:41 PM EST
It was bombs away off Clayton Kershaw on Wednesday, as the Rockies hit three homers off the Cy Young Award winner on their way to an 8-5 win.
Kershaw had allowed just the two solo homers through seven innings when the Dodgers scored twice in the top of the eighth to take a 3-2 lead. That lengthy inning featured two pitching changes, but the Dodgers sent Kershaw back to the mound anyway. Unfortunately, the half-hour break might have done him in. A single, a sacrifice and another single tied the game at 3 before Gonzalez lined one over the fence in right field to make it 5-3 Colorado.
The Dodgers came back from there, scoring two runs in the top of the ninth to let Kershaw off the hook. However, Jason Giambi, needing only a sac fly to end the game, hit a three-run homer off Scott Elbert in the bottom of the ninth.
Kershaw had never allowed three homers in a game before. He gave up two homers just twice on his way to winning Cy Young honors last season. One of those outings was likewise a loss to the Rockies.
Gonzalez has seven homers in nine games after going his first 12 games of the season without one. He joined Adam Dunn as the only players to hit two homers off Kershaw in one game.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)