May 2, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT
It was bombs away off Clayton Kershaw on Wednesday, as the Rockies hit three homers off the Cy Young Award winner on their way to an 8-5 win.
Kershaw had allowed just the two solo homers through seven innings when the Dodgers scored twice in the top of the eighth to take a 3-2 lead. That lengthy inning featured two pitching changes, but the Dodgers sent Kershaw back to the mound anyway. Unfortunately, the half-hour break might have done him in. A single, a sacrifice and another single tied the game at 3 before Gonzalez lined one over the fence in right field to make it 5-3 Colorado.
The Dodgers came back from there, scoring two runs in the top of the ninth to let Kershaw off the hook. However, Jason Giambi, needing only a sac fly to end the game, hit a three-run homer off Scott Elbert in the bottom of the ninth.
Kershaw had never allowed three homers in a game before. He gave up two homers just twice on his way to winning Cy Young honors last season. One of those outings was likewise a loss to the Rockies.
Gonzalez has seven homers in nine games after going his first 12 games of the season without one. He joined Adam Dunn as the only players to hit two homers off Kershaw in one game.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 36
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (104)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)