Daniel Schlereth was hurt? That’s news to Jim Leyland

May 2, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Schlereth_Daniel

Tigers reliever Daniel Schlereth was pretty damn ineffective in the early going, so the Tigers sent him down.  Then when he got down to Toledo, lo and behold, he had to go to the disabled list.  This was news to Jim Leyland, who sounds a bit miffed:

“Did I have any suspicion? Absolutely none. To my knowledge, he hasn’t been on one (injury) report all spring … The one thing I learned a long time ago, if somebody tells you they’re hurt, they’re hurt. Don’t ever question it. But the only problem with this situation is, he never told anyone he was hurt up here …

“I suppose some guys want to stay in the big leagues, so they try to get through some stuff. … But the first time, to my knowledge, that anybody at the major league level heard anything about Schlereth (being hurt), was after he went down to Toledo. So that’s Schlereth’s fault.”

Leyland backed off a bit and said that he sort of admired Schlereth for trying to suck it up and play through, but man, his doing so cost the Tigers a lot of runs. One has to wonder if Leyland really admires that and if Schlereth is going to see much if any time in the big league pen once he’s healthy.

(thanks to Allison for the link)

1. danaking - May 2, 2012 at 10:05 AM

There’s a line between being a good team player and selfishness. (Maybe insecurity is a better word.) I understand players wanting not to let down the team, but at what point do they have to admit they’re hurting the team by playing at reduced capacity. Not to mention hurting their careers.

• ajcardsfan - May 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Makes me think of Scott Rolen

• stlouis1baseball - May 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM

You beat me to it AJ! The dude couldn’t even swing the bat. Yet…he was “fine.”
        At the end of the day…he got a WS ring and was gone. But at least he got the ring.

• Joe - May 2, 2012 at 10:28 AM

It’s a no-win situation sometimes. If you play poorly because of an injury, you’re criticized for hurting the team by being selfish and staying in the lineup. If you sit out because of an injury, you’re criticized for hurting the team by being selfish and not playing through it.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM

TheCommonMan had a nice blog post about this just yesterday regarding the Twins:

2. pbannard - May 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Plus, he’s costing himself a good chunk of cash – if he’d said he was hurt before he got sent down, he would have gone on the MLB disabled list and been paid (and accrued service time) at the Major League minimum salary; since he went on the MiLB disabled list, he’s being paid considerably less.

3. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - May 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Me me me my my my it’s all about personal gains, protect your spot on the roster.

4. nodaclu - May 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM

He’s the son of a former NFL lineman, so he’s never, EVER going to admit to any injury if he can help it.

If Leyland truly knew his players and their background, he would have understood that and gotten to the bottom of the situation much faster.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3433)