May 2, 2012, 8:06 PM EST
It’s Tuesday night and they haven’t announced a deal, so the safe guess is Arizona isn’t interested.
And while GM Kevin Towers didn’t completely rule the whole thing out Wednesday in a conversation with the Arizona Republic‘s Nick Piecoro, he did drop some hints that it probably won’t be happening:
“He’s still got the good hitting hands,” Towers said. “He’s in decent shape. We hit him a few fly balls. He probably took 30 or 40 swings for us. Launched 15 to 20 balls out. Not bad. But we’ve got to see if it makes sense or not.
Once CY comes back, we’re good in the outfield. If we have a fit, it might only be temporary, kind of like what we did with Wily Mo (Pena) last year.”
“CY” is center fielder Chris Young, who is on the 15-day disabled list with a bruised right shoulder. He took swings off a tee Monday and Tuesday, and could be ready to return by the end of this week.
That doesn’t leave much of a window for Guerrero, who has bad knees and is a liability in the outfield. There were rumors a few weeks back that he might consider a gig in Japan. Perhaps Vlad will now revisit that.
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 58
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 88
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 13
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 28
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 89
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)