May 2, 2012, 8:06 PM EDT
It’s Tuesday night and they haven’t announced a deal, so the safe guess is Arizona isn’t interested.
And while GM Kevin Towers didn’t completely rule the whole thing out Wednesday in a conversation with the Arizona Republic‘s Nick Piecoro, he did drop some hints that it probably won’t be happening:
“He’s still got the good hitting hands,” Towers said. “He’s in decent shape. We hit him a few fly balls. He probably took 30 or 40 swings for us. Launched 15 to 20 balls out. Not bad. But we’ve got to see if it makes sense or not.
Once CY comes back, we’re good in the outfield. If we have a fit, it might only be temporary, kind of like what we did with Wily Mo (Pena) last year.”
“CY” is center fielder Chris Young, who is on the 15-day disabled list with a bruised right shoulder. He took swings off a tee Monday and Tuesday, and could be ready to return by the end of this week.
That doesn’t leave much of a window for Guerrero, who has bad knees and is a liability in the outfield. There were rumors a few weeks back that he might consider a gig in Japan. Perhaps Vlad will now revisit that.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)