May 2, 2012, 8:06 PM EDT
It’s Tuesday night and they haven’t announced a deal, so the safe guess is Arizona isn’t interested.
And while GM Kevin Towers didn’t completely rule the whole thing out Wednesday in a conversation with the Arizona Republic‘s Nick Piecoro, he did drop some hints that it probably won’t be happening:
“He’s still got the good hitting hands,” Towers said. “He’s in decent shape. We hit him a few fly balls. He probably took 30 or 40 swings for us. Launched 15 to 20 balls out. Not bad. But we’ve got to see if it makes sense or not.
Once CY comes back, we’re good in the outfield. If we have a fit, it might only be temporary, kind of like what we did with Wily Mo (Pena) last year.”
“CY” is center fielder Chris Young, who is on the 15-day disabled list with a bruised right shoulder. He took swings off a tee Monday and Tuesday, and could be ready to return by the end of this week.
That doesn’t leave much of a window for Guerrero, who has bad knees and is a liability in the outfield. There were rumors a few weeks back that he might consider a gig in Japan. Perhaps Vlad will now revisit that.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 16
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)