May 2, 2012, 8:06 PM EDT
It’s Tuesday night and they haven’t announced a deal, so the safe guess is Arizona isn’t interested.
And while GM Kevin Towers didn’t completely rule the whole thing out Wednesday in a conversation with the Arizona Republic‘s Nick Piecoro, he did drop some hints that it probably won’t be happening:
“He’s still got the good hitting hands,” Towers said. “He’s in decent shape. We hit him a few fly balls. He probably took 30 or 40 swings for us. Launched 15 to 20 balls out. Not bad. But we’ve got to see if it makes sense or not.
Once CY comes back, we’re good in the outfield. If we have a fit, it might only be temporary, kind of like what we did with Wily Mo (Pena) last year.”
“CY” is center fielder Chris Young, who is on the 15-day disabled list with a bruised right shoulder. He took swings off a tee Monday and Tuesday, and could be ready to return by the end of this week.
That doesn’t leave much of a window for Guerrero, who has bad knees and is a liability in the outfield. There were rumors a few weeks back that he might consider a gig in Japan. Perhaps Vlad will now revisit that.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)