May 2, 2012, 8:55 PM EDT
#dodgers are in serious talks w/ abreu. not done deal, as details need to be worked out. sev other teams showing interest 2
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) May 3, 2012
Abreu is still earning his $9 million salary this year from Anaheim, so he’s likely to sign where the most amount of playing time is available. And where he might have a shot at making a late run in October.
The 38-year-old was batting just .208/.259/.333 in 27 plate appearances for the Halos this season. A few miles northwest in Chavez Revine he would likely function as part-time left fielder (and regular pinch-hitter). The Dodgers currently sit alone atop the National League West standings with an impressive 17-8 record.
UPDATE, 9:23 PM: FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Dodgers and Abreu are “nearing” a deal.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 73
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 13
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 34
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 38
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)