May 2, 2012, 8:55 PM EDT
#dodgers are in serious talks w/ abreu. not done deal, as details need to be worked out. sev other teams showing interest 2
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) May 3, 2012
Abreu is still earning his $9 million salary this year from Anaheim, so he’s likely to sign where the most amount of playing time is available. And where he might have a shot at making a late run in October.
The 38-year-old was batting just .208/.259/.333 in 27 plate appearances for the Halos this season. A few miles northwest in Chavez Revine he would likely function as part-time left fielder (and regular pinch-hitter). The Dodgers currently sit alone atop the National League West standings with an impressive 17-8 record.
UPDATE, 9:23 PM: FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Dodgers and Abreu are “nearing” a deal.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)