May 2, 2012, 8:55 PM EDT
#dodgers are in serious talks w/ abreu. not done deal, as details need to be worked out. sev other teams showing interest 2
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) May 3, 2012
Abreu is still earning his $9 million salary this year from Anaheim, so he’s likely to sign where the most amount of playing time is available. And where he might have a shot at making a late run in October.
The 38-year-old was batting just .208/.259/.333 in 27 plate appearances for the Halos this season. A few miles northwest in Chavez Revine he would likely function as part-time left fielder (and regular pinch-hitter). The Dodgers currently sit alone atop the National League West standings with an impressive 17-8 record.
UPDATE, 9:23 PM: FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Dodgers and Abreu are “nearing” a deal.
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 9
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 79
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)