May 2, 2012, 8:55 PM EDT
#dodgers are in serious talks w/ abreu. not done deal, as details need to be worked out. sev other teams showing interest 2
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) May 3, 2012
Abreu is still earning his $9 million salary this year from Anaheim, so he’s likely to sign where the most amount of playing time is available. And where he might have a shot at making a late run in October.
The 38-year-old was batting just .208/.259/.333 in 27 plate appearances for the Halos this season. A few miles northwest in Chavez Revine he would likely function as part-time left fielder (and regular pinch-hitter). The Dodgers currently sit alone atop the National League West standings with an impressive 17-8 record.
UPDATE, 9:23 PM: FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Dodgers and Abreu are “nearing” a deal.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 6
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 85
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (97)