May 2, 2012, 10:23 PM EST
Veteran right-hander Jeff Suppan bounced around between a few different minor league systems in 2011 and had surrendered nine runs (on 17 hits) in 6 2/3 innings through his first two starts this season at Triple-A Tuscon. So it was a shock when the Padres announced Tuesday that they were calling him up for a spot Wednesday night against the Brewers.
But it went about as smoothly as possible.
The bullpen carried the torch for the final four frames as the Friars rolled to a 5-0 victory.
With Cory Luebke now on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to April 28) with elbow discomfort, Suppan may have earned himself another outing. Dan Hayes of the North County Times says the 37-year-old was regularly hitting 87 mph with his fastball, which is exactly his average from the 2010 season.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)