May 2, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Affeldt sprained the medial collateral ligament in his right knee Saturday night when his son Walker, a 4-year-old who already stands 4-foot-6 and weighs 60 pounds, leaped off the sofa and ran into Affeldt’s arm when the pitcher got home.
Affeldt said he felt a pop in the knee. Though it did not hurt much then, he awoke at 4 a.m. and felt the knee throb as he turned. This time, frozen food was his salvation. Affeldt had no ice, so he applied a bag of vegetables to the knee before calling trainers.
Affeldt, you’ll remember, last hit the DL when he cut himself trying to separate frozen hamburger patties with a knife. The lesson here: Affeldt should never, ever go home.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)