Jeremy Affeldt’s injury was caused by his son

May 2, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT

Jeremy Affeldt Getty Images

We mentioned last night that Jeremy Affeldt was hitting the DL due to a sprained knee.  Here’s how he sprained it:

Affeldt sprained the medial collateral ligament in his right knee Saturday night when his son Walker, a 4-year-old who already stands 4-foot-6 and weighs 60 pounds, leaped off the sofa and ran into Affeldt’s arm when the pitcher got home.

Affeldt said he felt a pop in the knee. Though it did not hurt much then, he awoke at 4 a.m. and felt the knee throb as he turned. This time, frozen food was his salvation. Affeldt had no ice, so he applied a bag of vegetables to the knee before calling trainers.

Affeldt, you’ll remember, last hit the DL when he cut himself trying to separate frozen hamburger patties with a knife.  The lesson here: Affeldt should never, ever go home.

1. antlerclaws - May 2, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Isn’t home statistically one of the most dangerous places for everybody?

• Gamera the Brave - May 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM

It sure is if you have kids, although most of the pain my kids cause me is psychological…

• mcs7584 - May 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Most of the pain caused by my children is financial.

• Phillies Homer - May 2, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Yea… because, statistically speaking, that’s where you are most of your day.

Just like accidents happen closer to home… yea, because 90% of the time you are driving somewhere close to your home!

I made up the 90% statistic… but you get my gist.

• phukyouk - May 2, 2012 at 10:21 AM

you do know that 73% of all statistics are made up on the spot, right?

• ezthinking - May 2, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Yes, because you spend the majority of your time there. Its the same stupid statistic that says most car wrecks you are in are within 3 miles of your home. Guess where the average person spends most of their time driving?

Anyway, Affeldt is unlucky as hell. My kid has accidentally hurt me about 100 times in her 6 years. It happens. Get well.

2. mybrunoblog - May 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Is it only major league baseball players who suffer these freak accidents? Pulling muscles while sneezing, breaking bones on trampolines, tearing up knees when a 4 year old jumps on you. I’ve never heard of such weird occurrences. It is bizarre!

• ajcardsfan - May 2, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Not sure about the others, but trampolines can be very hazardous to your health. I’ve seen somebody roll their ankle, break a finger, break a foot, and I’ve personally busted my lip/chipped a tooth after getting launched off of one when I was 15

• seeinred87 - May 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Don’t forget Guitar Hero and the damage it’s caused.

3. yankeesgameday - May 2, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Another reason not to have children.

Whenever I see a pregnant woman all I can think of is, “great another douche bag in front of me in traffic in 16 years.”

• sportsdrenched.com - May 2, 2012 at 11:50 AM

The rest of society put with YOU when you were a D-bag in front of them when you were learning to drive.

• yankeesgameday - May 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM

But I am god’s gift to humanity, duh. Everyone else is just in my way

4. ravensos - May 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM

2 days ago my 3 year old was jumping up down when i was drying him off with a towel after his bath. his head clocked me right in the jaw. it didn’t hurt then, but when i was trying to eat my lunch yesterday my jaw was clicking. i have to take small bites when i eat and it clicks if i try to open it normal. my wedding is in 3 days..

• mybrunoblog - May 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM

That’s called God punishing you for getting married.

Sincerely,
      All married men

5. osbornesmith - May 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Does anyone else thing a 4-year-old already being 4.5 feet tall is strange? That seems HUGE to me!

• larrytsg - May 2, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I was going to post the same thing! I am not a big guy by any stretch of the imagination (I’m 5’2″, same as Danny DeVito), and my daughter is 17 years old and 4’11”, but man, that’s HUGE for a 4 year old. Reminds me of the time a few years ago at the Little League World Series where there was a 13 year old boy who stood 6’8″ tall!

• juicejuicer - May 2, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Really!!!!
      My son, at 9-years old, stands at 4′ 10″ and 90 lbs. He is medically in the 95th percentile. Only 5% of kids his age are bigger/taller than he is. Jeremy’s kid at 4 years old is 4′ 6″ and 60 lbs?!? WOW!

• Gamera the Brave - May 2, 2012 at 10:44 AM

My 12-year-old daughter just blew through 5’8″, tallest kid in her elementary school.
      Was always super tall, even when she was 4. I’m about 6’1″, wife’s 5’4″, so no particular reason for the freakish height…

Never know when kids will stop growing, but in my daughter’s case the best part is that she doesn’t freak out about being tall. Doesn’t slouch, even around 12-year-old boys that barely come up to her shoulder.

Now, if I could just convince her to go beast-mode in basketball, that might save me $50k in tuition…

• brianjvac - May 2, 2012 at 11:47 AM

That kid is massive. I can’t believe I had to scroll down 6-7 posts to see the first comment about this kids size. Sounds like Jeremy is lying about the kids age because he wants him to dominate the younger kids in little league like Danny Almonte did.

• brianjvac - May 2, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Another Danny Almonte sighting.

• ltzep75 - May 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM

“Affeldt stated that he was thinking of punishing his son for jumping on the furniture, but feared the inevitable revenge his son would take upon reaching the age of six.”

6. racksie - May 2, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Or, as a lot of suspicious baseball injuries, he lying. Jeff Kent hurt his leg washing his truck. And he has a 4 year old who is 4 feet 6 inches tall? Did he get into the HGH?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 2, 2012 at 10:30 AM

he lying. Jeff Kent hurt his leg washing his truck

Formatting is a bit weird so forgive me, but you know that was a lie too right?

• racksie - May 2, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Yep. That was the point. Sorry for the confusion.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 2, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Oh np, just wanted to make sure.

7. racksie - May 2, 2012 at 10:34 AM

YOu know, there was this, too:

8. philly56 - May 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM

How can someone who lives in southern California and makes millions of dollars a year not have any ice in his house?  I mean he could probably splurge on the Frigidaire with the ice dispenser.

Must’ve blown the fridge budget trying to keep gigantor clothed, kid must need a new wardrobe every week at the rate he’s growing.

9. sportsdrenched.com - May 2, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I sprianed my foot rough housing with my son a few months ago. My son is also in the 95th percntile in height & weight.

Only part of this story I don’t beleive is the no ice thing. Bag of veggies works though.

10. ccmf69 - May 2, 2012 at 1:42 PM

At least he wasn’t wearing his shirt while trying to iron it…points for that:)

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3361)