May 2, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Affeldt sprained the medial collateral ligament in his right knee Saturday night when his son Walker, a 4-year-old who already stands 4-foot-6 and weighs 60 pounds, leaped off the sofa and ran into Affeldt’s arm when the pitcher got home.
Affeldt said he felt a pop in the knee. Though it did not hurt much then, he awoke at 4 a.m. and felt the knee throb as he turned. This time, frozen food was his salvation. Affeldt had no ice, so he applied a bag of vegetables to the knee before calling trainers.
Affeldt, you’ll remember, last hit the DL when he cut himself trying to separate frozen hamburger patties with a knife. The lesson here: Affeldt should never, ever go home.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 61
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)