May 2, 2012, 9:42 AM EST
Affeldt sprained the medial collateral ligament in his right knee Saturday night when his son Walker, a 4-year-old who already stands 4-foot-6 and weighs 60 pounds, leaped off the sofa and ran into Affeldt’s arm when the pitcher got home.
Affeldt said he felt a pop in the knee. Though it did not hurt much then, he awoke at 4 a.m. and felt the knee throb as he turned. This time, frozen food was his salvation. Affeldt had no ice, so he applied a bag of vegetables to the knee before calling trainers.
Affeldt, you’ll remember, last hit the DL when he cut himself trying to separate frozen hamburger patties with a knife. The lesson here: Affeldt should never, ever go home.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 43
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 21
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)