May 2, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Affeldt sprained the medial collateral ligament in his right knee Saturday night when his son Walker, a 4-year-old who already stands 4-foot-6 and weighs 60 pounds, leaped off the sofa and ran into Affeldt’s arm when the pitcher got home.
Affeldt said he felt a pop in the knee. Though it did not hurt much then, he awoke at 4 a.m. and felt the knee throb as he turned. This time, frozen food was his salvation. Affeldt had no ice, so he applied a bag of vegetables to the knee before calling trainers.
Affeldt, you’ll remember, last hit the DL when he cut himself trying to separate frozen hamburger patties with a knife. The lesson here: Affeldt should never, ever go home.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)