May 2, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
The Phillies beat the Braves without Jim Thome — and without an extra bat on the bench — last night. But they decided today that they’re not going to keep trying to do that. Thome was placed on the DL this morning with a bad back, which he tweaked while sliding into second base on Saturday.
Which just goes to show you: Jim Thome should not be sliding into second base under any circumstances. He should be mashing taters, trotting and giving out high fives. That’s all.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)