May 2, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
The Phillies beat the Braves without Jim Thome — and without an extra bat on the bench — last night. But they decided today that they’re not going to keep trying to do that. Thome was placed on the DL this morning with a bad back, which he tweaked while sliding into second base on Saturday.
Which just goes to show you: Jim Thome should not be sliding into second base under any circumstances. He should be mashing taters, trotting and giving out high fives. That’s all.
- Report: Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 0
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (196)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (91)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)