May 2, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
The Phillies beat the Braves without Jim Thome — and without an extra bat on the bench — last night. But they decided today that they’re not going to keep trying to do that. Thome was placed on the DL this morning with a bad back, which he tweaked while sliding into second base on Saturday.
Which just goes to show you: Jim Thome should not be sliding into second base under any circumstances. He should be mashing taters, trotting and giving out high fives. That’s all.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (121)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (110)