May 2, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
The Phillies beat the Braves without Jim Thome — and without an extra bat on the bench — last night. But they decided today that they’re not going to keep trying to do that. Thome was placed on the DL this morning with a bad back, which he tweaked while sliding into second base on Saturday.
Which just goes to show you: Jim Thome should not be sliding into second base under any circumstances. He should be mashing taters, trotting and giving out high fives. That’s all.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)