May 2, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Johnny Damon wasn’t in the Indians’ lineup yesterday because they were facing a tough left-hander in Chris Sale, but manager Manny Acta revealed that he’ll likely serve as the team’s leadoff man when he does play.
That’s certainly nothing new for Damon, who’s batted leadoff in more than 1,500 games during his 17-year career, but he’s done so a total of just 46 times in the previous three seasons and last season posted a below-average on-base percentage for the first time since 2001.
Acta of course chose to cite Damon’s career numbers in explaining the decision to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
Other than the fact that he has a .355 lifetime on-base percentage in the leadoff spot, he’s close to 3,000 hits, and the fact that over the last three years he’s hit lefties better than righties? What else do you want me to give you? He’s been very effective doing that in his career.
All of which would be extremely compelling reasoning if not for the fact that Damon is 38 years old and posted a .326 OBP in 2011. If he’s still capable of an OBP around .350 the signing will have been an excellent one for Cleveland.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games