May 2, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: General manager Doug Melvin announced that Gamel has a torn ACL, which likely means season-ending surgery. Very tough break for a player who waited to get his shot.
Mat Gamel left yesterday’s game after injuring his right knee chasing a foul ball and now Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that the Brewers first baseman is headed back to Milwaukee to be examined by team doctors.
Manager Ron Roenicke sounded pretty pessimistic about Gamel’s status when asked immediately after the game, saying he feared it was serious and might be “a slight tear.”
Gamel has gotten off to a slow start as Prince Fielder‘s replacement, hitting just .246 with a .641 OPS in 21 games after biding his time at Triple-A for multiple seasons. Milwaukee doesn’t have an obvious in-house replacement beyond Travis Ishikawa, so calling up Brooks Conrad or third base prospect Taylor Green from Triple-A could be options.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)