May 2, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Holbrook stepped back from the plate, pointed at the dugout, and then moments later gave Vizquel a dramatic heave-ho.
Manager John Farrell emerged from the dugout and could be seen asking “you threw me out?!” He talked to Holbrook for a minute, learned that it was Vizquel who got the boot, and then returned to the dugout to inform the veteran shortstop that he had to leave.
And then Vizquel–calmly and without incident–got up, grabbed his glove and hat and shoes, and headed into the clubhouse. Adding to the weirdness is that it was the first ejection for the Blue Jays all season.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)