May 2, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Holbrook stepped back from the plate, pointed at the dugout, and then moments later gave Vizquel a dramatic heave-ho.
Manager John Farrell emerged from the dugout and could be seen asking “you threw me out?!” He talked to Holbrook for a minute, learned that it was Vizquel who got the boot, and then returned to the dugout to inform the veteran shortstop that he had to leave.
And then Vizquel–calmly and without incident–got up, grabbed his glove and hat and shoes, and headed into the clubhouse. Adding to the weirdness is that it was the first ejection for the Blue Jays all season.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 65
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 59
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)