May 2, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Holbrook stepped back from the plate, pointed at the dugout, and then moments later gave Vizquel a dramatic heave-ho.
Manager John Farrell emerged from the dugout and could be seen asking “you threw me out?!” He talked to Holbrook for a minute, learned that it was Vizquel who got the boot, and then returned to the dugout to inform the veteran shortstop that he had to leave.
And then Vizquel–calmly and without incident–got up, grabbed his glove and hat and shoes, and headed into the clubhouse. Adding to the weirdness is that it was the first ejection for the Blue Jays all season.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)