May 2, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Holbrook stepped back from the plate, pointed at the dugout, and then moments later gave Vizquel a dramatic heave-ho.
Manager John Farrell emerged from the dugout and could be seen asking “you threw me out?!” He talked to Holbrook for a minute, learned that it was Vizquel who got the boot, and then returned to the dugout to inform the veteran shortstop that he had to leave.
And then Vizquel–calmly and without incident–got up, grabbed his glove and hat and shoes, and headed into the clubhouse. Adding to the weirdness is that it was the first ejection for the Blue Jays all season.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)