May 2, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Holbrook stepped back from the plate, pointed at the dugout, and then moments later gave Vizquel a dramatic heave-ho.
Manager John Farrell emerged from the dugout and could be seen asking “you threw me out?!” He talked to Holbrook for a minute, learned that it was Vizquel who got the boot, and then returned to the dugout to inform the veteran shortstop that he had to leave.
And then Vizquel–calmly and without incident–got up, grabbed his glove and hat and shoes, and headed into the clubhouse. Adding to the weirdness is that it was the first ejection for the Blue Jays all season.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 0
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)