May 2, 2012, 4:48 PM EST
Luebke has a sore elbow, but Dan Hayes of the North County Times reports that the Padres “are encouraged by his progress” and hope he can return from the backdated DL stint when eligible next week.
Luebke was never considered a top prospect and didn’t get an extended opportunity in the majors until last season at age 26, but he’s quietly posted a 3.25 ERA and 195/58 K/BB ratio in 185 innings spread over 25 starts and 30 relief appearances.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 41
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (72)