May 2, 2012, 4:48 PM EST
Luebke has a sore elbow, but Dan Hayes of the North County Times reports that the Padres “are encouraged by his progress” and hope he can return from the backdated DL stint when eligible next week.
Luebke was never considered a top prospect and didn’t get an extended opportunity in the majors until last season at age 26, but he’s quietly posted a 3.25 ERA and 195/58 K/BB ratio in 185 innings spread over 25 starts and 30 relief appearances.
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 0
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 33
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 4
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 29
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (134)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)