May 2, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
UPDATE: Still no word on the official roster move involved, but manager Bobby Valentine just said on WEEI radio that Middlebrooks will be in the starting lineup tonight.
UPDATE #2: Youkilis has been placed on the DL after saying he was at least 3-4 more days from being game ready, leaving Middlebrooks as the new starting third baseman.
It’s unclear if he’ll be added to the active roster or is merely going to hang around as insurance in case Kevin Youkilis‘ back injury proves serious, but Maureen Mullen of CSNNE.com reports that Red Sox third base prospect Will Middlebrooks is on his way to Fenway Park.
Middlebrooks has been on fire at Triple-A, hitting .333 with nine homers and a 1.057 OPS in 24 games after ranking No. 54 on Baseball America‘s list of top prospects coming into the season.
Youkilis has missed three consecutive games with back soreness, causing the Red Sox to call up slick-fielding, weak-hitting shortstop prospect Jose Iglesias from Triple-A yesterday for some infield depth. And now Middlebrooks is joining him in Boston, although it remains to be seen if the 23-year-old will actually be making his big-league debut.
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 6
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 1
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 20
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)