May 2, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
UPDATE: Still no word on the official roster move involved, but manager Bobby Valentine just said on WEEI radio that Middlebrooks will be in the starting lineup tonight.
UPDATE #2: Youkilis has been placed on the DL after saying he was at least 3-4 more days from being game ready, leaving Middlebrooks as the new starting third baseman.
It’s unclear if he’ll be added to the active roster or is merely going to hang around as insurance in case Kevin Youkilis‘ back injury proves serious, but Maureen Mullen of CSNNE.com reports that Red Sox third base prospect Will Middlebrooks is on his way to Fenway Park.
Middlebrooks has been on fire at Triple-A, hitting .333 with nine homers and a 1.057 OPS in 24 games after ranking No. 54 on Baseball America‘s list of top prospects coming into the season.
Youkilis has missed three consecutive games with back soreness, causing the Red Sox to call up slick-fielding, weak-hitting shortstop prospect Jose Iglesias from Triple-A yesterday for some infield depth. And now Middlebrooks is joining him in Boston, although it remains to be seen if the 23-year-old will actually be making his big-league debut.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)