May 2, 2012, 7:22 PM EDT
Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman (sore right shoulder) told reporters on Tuesday that he is aiming to return from the 15-day disabled list in time for Sunday night’s game against the division rival Phillies. But it’s just not going to happen.
According to beat writer Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington’s Nats Insider, manager Davey Johnson said this afternoon that Zimmerman “likely won’t come off” the DL until at least next Tuesday, when Washington opens a series in Pittsburgh.
The 27-year-old hasn’t experienced a setback and is telling people that he feels “great,” but he’s dealt with shoulder issues in the past and the Nationals don’t want to make the mistake of rushing him back too early.
Zimmerman will hit off a tee for the first time Friday. He has already begun playing regular games of catch.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)