May 2, 2012, 7:22 PM EDT
Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman (sore right shoulder) told reporters on Tuesday that he is aiming to return from the 15-day disabled list in time for Sunday night’s game against the division rival Phillies. But it’s just not going to happen.
According to beat writer Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington’s Nats Insider, manager Davey Johnson said this afternoon that Zimmerman “likely won’t come off” the DL until at least next Tuesday, when Washington opens a series in Pittsburgh.
The 27-year-old hasn’t experienced a setback and is telling people that he feels “great,” but he’s dealt with shoulder issues in the past and the Nationals don’t want to make the mistake of rushing him back too early.
Zimmerman will hit off a tee for the first time Friday. He has already begun playing regular games of catch.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 90
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)