May 2, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
The Dodgers new owners took out a full page ad/open letter to fans in the L.A. Times today. My favorite part is when they reference the old Dodgers players. Though really, you had best name-check Pedro Guerrero, because he was awesome.
Anyway, this is it:
Dear Dodger Fans,
As the new owners of the Dodgers, we accept this responsibility with great humility and appreciation.
This team is a community treasure. The title of ownership is merely a statement on paper. This team belongs to you. It belongs to everyone who has dared to love Dodgers Baseball with passion.
The Dodgers have built a tradition of excellence — legends like Robinson and Newcombe, Koufax and Drysdale, Garvey, Cey, Lopes and Russell, Valenzuela and Hershiser, Alston and Lasorda, Scully and Jarrin.
The tradition of excellence continues with the Dodger greats of today. We are committed to building the next dynasty and strengthening Dodger price.
We will preserve yesterday’s traditions and create tomorrow’s memories. Our leadership team will work tirelessly to make our great fans feel appreciated — whether you come to Dodger Stadium or whether we come to you in the community.
Thank you for your love of the Game. Thank you for always believing in this team. And thank you for being the best fans in baseball.
We are ready to get to work. See you at Dodger Stadium!
The Guggenheim Baseball Management Team
Mark Walter, Peter Gruber, Earvin “Magic” Johnson, Todd Boehly, Stan Kasten, Bobby Patton
And, just for old time’s sake:
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 136
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 83
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (158)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (84)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)