May 2, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
The Dodgers new owners took out a full page ad/open letter to fans in the L.A. Times today. My favorite part is when they reference the old Dodgers players. Though really, you had best name-check Pedro Guerrero, because he was awesome.
Anyway, this is it:
Dear Dodger Fans,
As the new owners of the Dodgers, we accept this responsibility with great humility and appreciation.
This team is a community treasure. The title of ownership is merely a statement on paper. This team belongs to you. It belongs to everyone who has dared to love Dodgers Baseball with passion.
The Dodgers have built a tradition of excellence — legends like Robinson and Newcombe, Koufax and Drysdale, Garvey, Cey, Lopes and Russell, Valenzuela and Hershiser, Alston and Lasorda, Scully and Jarrin.
The tradition of excellence continues with the Dodger greats of today. We are committed to building the next dynasty and strengthening Dodger price.
We will preserve yesterday’s traditions and create tomorrow’s memories. Our leadership team will work tirelessly to make our great fans feel appreciated — whether you come to Dodger Stadium or whether we come to you in the community.
Thank you for your love of the Game. Thank you for always believing in this team. And thank you for being the best fans in baseball.
We are ready to get to work. See you at Dodger Stadium!
The Guggenheim Baseball Management Team
Mark Walter, Peter Gruber, Earvin “Magic” Johnson, Todd Boehly, Stan Kasten, Bobby Patton
And, just for old time’s sake:
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)